Circuit Troubleshooting: Simple Setups to Ask Questions

In summary, the potential difference between point 1 and point 2 would be 9v, the potential difference between point 2 and point 3 would be 0v, and the potential difference between point 1 and point 3 would be 0v.
vadevalor
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372179698.640343.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372179728.926332.jpg

ThIS IS NOT A HOMEWORK! I need to know the difference which is why i used simple setups to help ask a question. This helps me in doing more complicated circuits after understanding where a potential drop occurs and when it doesnt

Physics news on Phys.org
vadevalor said:
View attachment 59838

View attachment 59839

ThIS IS NOT A HOMEWORK! I need to know the difference which is why i used simple setups to help ask a question. This helps me in doing more complicated circuits after understanding where a potential drop occurs and when it doesnt

Hey, Do you understand how to draw circuit diagrams? If so then you're best to draw the circuits (doesnt have to be a piece of art or anything) just so you can see what's going on, then draw in the values you know.

I have attached a drawing of your first circuit (a),

No electricity can flow, because there is a break in the circuit,
Lets say your battery is 9v,
The potential difference between point 1 and point 2 would be 9v,
There is technically no potential difference between point 1 and point 3, if you got a voltmeter and put 1 probe on point 1 and the other probe at point 3, the reading would be 0v as there is no potential difference
There is also no potential difference between point 2 and point 3.

If I closed the switch, there would be a potential difference across the bulb BUT no current flowing as there is a broken bulb, no current can flow through it, but the potential is there. If the bulb was okay, then the current would flow through the bulb.

Attachments

• circa.png
    circa.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 469
But i don't know when there's a voltage drop and when the potential is the same :( especially for the later parts about broken bulbs.
I do know how to draw circuit diagrams
But i don't know what happens at these points- tried using different colours too
Most importantly, i need to know part g and h , and whether an open switch affects the p.d across a bulb- zero or still equals emf? (Assuming no internal resistance of cell)

If a circuit is broken in some way, either by one gap or by many, no current will flow so that any component that gets its potential difference thanks to Ohm's Law (V = I*R) will not exhibit a potential difference across it. So now you need to know between what points you will measure a potential difference given that the circuit is open so that no current is flowing.

To find that, first follow the path from the voltage source's + terminal until you reach the first gap in the circuit (open switch, broken bulb, cut wire,...). Everything along that path or connected to it will be at the same potential, that of the + terminal of the source. Next follow the path from the - terminal of the voltage source until you reach the first gap in that direction. Everything along that path will have zero potential. If you placed a voltmeter's ground lead anywhere along the "-" path, and its positive lead anywhere along the "+" path, you will read the potential across the voltage source.

As for the rest of the circuit that may lie between those two gaps, it might as well be erased from the diagram; it has no connection to either pole of the battery and is thus "floating". If either test lead is connected anywhere on that sub-circuit and the other is connected to anywhere on the source-connected portions, you will read no potential.

All of this ignores the very, very, tiny capacitance that is bound to exist across the open gaps and could theoretically at least allow some potential differences to exist across the "floating" circuitry. But the charges involved will be so small that you couldn't measure them with practical test gear.

Please pardon my drawing skills
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372184579.972723.jpg

Okay so let's say there's 5 bulbs, bulbs 2 and 4 broken. Counting From LHS. Emf is 12v.
Left hand side of bulb1: 12v
RHS of bulb 1: ( 12- 12/3 ) v ?

LHS of bulb 2 : (12- 12/3) v
RHS of bulb 2 : same
RHS of bulb 5: 0v

I read in a book p.d is zero across EVERY bulb (when 2 or more broken bulbs out of 10 in a series closed circuit) which i don't understand.

I acknowledge p.d across the LHS of bulb 1 and RHS of last bulb,bulb 5 in my case and bulb 10 in the example's case is indeed =emf (when cell has no internal resistance)

vadevalor said:
Please pardon my drawing skills
View attachment 59843

Okay so let's say there's 5 bulbs, bulbs 2 and 4 broken. Counting From LHS. Emf is 12v.
Left hand side of bulb1: 12v
RHS of bulb 1: ( 12- 12/3 ) v ?

LHS of bulb 2 : (12- 12/3) v
RHS of bulb 2 : same
RHS of bulb 5: 0v

I read in a book p.d is zero across EVERY bulb (when 2 or more broken bulbs out of 10 in a series closed circuit) which i don't understand.

I acknowledge p.d across the LHS of bulb 1 and RHS of last bulb,bulb 5 in my case and bulb 10 in the example's case is indeed =emf (when cell has no internal resistance)

If there is 1 broken bulb in a series circuit then NONE of the bulbs will light as the current cannot flow because it is stopped at the break, there is NO potential difference across ANY of the bulbs for that reason.

See what I attached, that is how a bulb works (a filament one anyway), so basically when the filament breaks, its just like cutting a wire which of course stops ANY current flow

Attachments

• safsaasf.png
    safsaasf.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 425
I think i got it from the 2nd last reply and the first reply to this topic :P But Except this case?Answer is C and i got it based on the 2nd last reply :)) Hmph.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372187939.667859.jpg

Many millions of thanks to you 2 who helped! Hugs anyone? Hahaha.

vadevalor said:
I think i got it from the 2nd last reply and the first reply to this topic :P But Except this case?Answer is C and i got it based on the 2nd last reply :)) Hmph. View attachment 59849

Many millions of thanks to you 2 who helped! Hugs anyone? Hahaha.

Yes, There is a potential difference over X, the reading would be 240v.
There is no potential difference over Y, the reading would be 0v

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372191307.111397.jpg

Btw, Why would potential at Q decrease compared to original? Its earthed before that so potential at Q is pd across the Resistor R0 (answer is D)
Also, is it because R parallel is halved only or is it because BOTH R parallel being halved and split(meaning current decreases) of current that potential at P decreases?

vadevalor said:
View attachment 59851
Btw, Why would potential at Q decrease compared to original? Its earthed before that so potential at Q is pd across the Resistor R0 (answer is D)
Also, is it because R parallel is halved only or is it because BOTH R parallel being halved and split(meaning current decreases) of current that potential at P decreases?

I'm not sure why you would ground a circuit where it is grounded but,

The switch switches another resistor in place so the total resistance of the parallel decreases, when resistance decreases, so does the potential,
I'm not sure why the potential at Q decreases, however, I assume it's because the current has decreased going through R0

I think for potential at P it decreases cuz
Both R and I falls- R becomes R/2, I becomes I/2 is it?
For Q i think overall I has increased because of the decrease in total resistance with the switch from series to parallel for the left part---so the potential DROP after the earthing part at resistor R0 is larger (since l falls and Resistance of fixed resistor R0 is constant) resulting in more negative potential hence the decrease than before.
Think you didnt take notice of the direction of current flow. Just thought of these :P correct me if I am wrong!

vadevalor said:
I think for potential at P it decreases cuz
Both R and I falls- R becomes R/2, I becomes I/2 is it?
For Q i think overall I has increased because of the decrease in total resistance with the switch from series to parallel for the left part---so the potential DROP after the earthing part at resistor R0 is larger (since l falls and Resistance of fixed resistor R0 is constant) resulting in more negative potential hence the decrease than before.
Think you didnt take notice of the direction of current flow. Just thought of these :P correct me if I am wrong!

I noted the current flow, there is no or little actual flow down to the ground terminal as shown in the drawing,
Between positive and ground there should be your full 12v (or whatever your voltage is), and between ground and the negative terminal on battery should be minus something?

When the switch is open, the current through R1 is the same as current through R0 I would have thought, when the switch is closed, that current is decreased, which also decreases the current through R0 thus reducing the potential

What are your resistor values and voltage?

The resistors have the same resistance. It is a general question without values but i think we got it. Except that I am still unsure of the part about potential decrease for P- due to fall in R, I or both.:eek: I think now, that its quite ambiguous because fall in Total resistance actually increases I supplied by cell. Then its hard to tell whether potential at P changes! :0! :9(and i can't say larger current causes larger potential drop thru internal resistance hence reducing terminal pd more because internal resistance is negligible):0 HOw :eek:
Picked this from a book this time and thought it was quite near to understanding of these open circuits n potential things :P we could discuss more on this when i find more related questions :) which i happen to have a lot of reference to churn out questions by myself based on those.

Last edited:
vadevalor said:
The resistors have the same resistance. It is a general question without values but i think we got it. Except that I am still unsure of the part about potential decrease for P- due to fall in R, I or both.:eek: I think now, that its quite ambiguous because fall in Total resistance actually increases I supplied by cell. Then its hard to tell whether potential at P changes! :0! :9(and i can't say larger current causes larger potential drop thru internal resistance hence reducing terminal pd more because internal resistance is negligible):0 HOw :eek:
Picked this from a book this time and thought it was quite near to understanding of these open circuits n potential things :P we could discuss more on this when i find more related questions :) which i happen to have a lot of reference to churn out questions by myself based on those.

I have thrown some values in for an example,
Hopefully that may clear things for you

Attachments

• Help.png
    Help.png
    82.5 KB · Views: 442
I also just created a simulation of what is happening,
The voltage drop (potential decrease) occurs when the switch is closed,
The simulation shows me opening the switch at 4secs, closing it at ~6secs, opening it ~8secs etc

Attachments

• sim.png
    sim.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 443
It did prove the potential at P fell since (increase in I supplied by cell due to fall in R total) is LESS than (fall in R total due to series to parallel change) which meant the v fell since IR fell, but well if no values were given how do i tell? Hmph

vadevalor said:
It did prove the potential at P fell since (increase in I supplied by cell due to fall in R total) is LESS than (fall in R total due to series to parallel change) which meant the v fell since IR fell, but well if no values were given how do i tell? Hmph

Indeed, You can tell by making up the values or even better knowing the equations inside out,
No matter what size resistors they are in parallel, the total resistance across will ALWAYS be less than the smallest resistor, that means you know if you add another resistor in, you know the resistance is going to decrease so the current is going to increase so the potential is going to decrease. Thats the explanation without numbers.

I like to make up numbers to confirm things, especially when transposing more complex formulas,
I will use ohms law though as an example of this
Say i know V=IR
and i transposed for I which is, I = V/R as you know,
But i want to make sure that that's right,
To check, I would make up a value for I and a value for R so let's say I=5 and R=10
5x10 = 50 so V is 50

Now implement that into your transposed formula,
So, if you had that 50/R which is 10 = 5, what you was looking for, so that tested that that transposition is 100% correct, then you have no doubts what-so-ever.

Its just a little tip I like to use to make sure my transposition is 100% correct in exams, if your transposition is wrong then your answer is wrong, by checking transposition, you've atleast got a chance then haha,

Take this formula for example as attached, I wouldn't risk loosing marks over some stupid transposition errors so i would check it if i had time left (got a bit off topic now haha)

EDIT: attached came up horribly on screen view, it is formula used in RLC circuits

Attachments

• rlcpar8.gif
    rlcpar8.gif
    5.7 KB · Views: 411
Too high order for me- that formula P
I guess that's the only way - to sub in values :(( which takes a whole lot of time for me and there's time limit for exams :(

vadevalor said:
Too high order for me- that formula P
I guess that's the only way - to sub in values :(( which takes a whole lot of time for me and there's time limit for exams :(

You don't need to sub in values to transpose, I just use it to test my transposition if i have time,

To transpose, you just need to practice ;)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372203778.371918.jpg

How do i get this? Filled in the answers for easy reference. Dont see why unless i try subbing values again. Seems like a high order application question to me. Least dissipated power: Series circuit with 2 resistors(P=V2/R V larger with 2 resistors by V=I(2R) why :( least dissipated power?)
Highest dissipated power: parallel circuit with 2 resistors. (Half R hence larger I than a normal 1 resistor series circuit-hence P=I2R larger increase in power with the square on I)

How is there a basis of comparison?

"It did prove the potential at P fell since (increase in I supplied by cell due to fall in R total) is LESS than (fall in R total due to series to parallel change) which meant the v fell since IR fell, but well if no values were given how do i tell? Hmph "

Aww sorry i still don't get how to predict the fall in potential at P without subbing in values though. The effect is only seen after subbing because it involves seeing which outweighs

vadevalor said:
View attachment 59859
How do i get this? Filled in the answers for easy reference. Dont see why unless i try subbing values again. Seems like a high order application question to me. Least dissipated power: Series circuit with 2 resistors(P=V2/R V larger with 2 resistors by V=I(2R) why :( least dissipated power?)
Highest dissipated power: parallel circuit with 2 resistors. (Half R hence larger I than a normal 1 resistor series circuit-hence P=I2R larger increase in power with the square on I)

How is there a basis of comparison?

To me, Lowest disappation would be when all switches are open, there will be no power dissipation (aka the lowest) because no current is flowing,
The highest would be whatever switches you need to open/close so that electrons flow through the least resistive path? The less resistance, the higher the current, the higher the current = higher dissipation,

It has to be operating :P i think by just looking at resistance i got it - Highest power because least resistance when 2 resistors in parallel
Least power when 2 resistors in series
But that's assuming I and V are not outweighing Which complicates the matter more. Well furthermore V and I are squared in the 2 power eqn

Last edited:
vadevalor said:
It has to be operating :P i think by just looking at resistance i got it - Least power because least resistance when 2 resistors in parallel
Highest power when 2 resistors in series
But that's assuming I and V are not outweighing Which complicates the matter more. Well furthermore V and I are squared in the 2 power eqn

Ahh I see haha,
What you first said is correct, you need to work out which route would use the most and least current

Power dissipation=V2/R
I=V/R

Pretend both resistor values are 1000ohm and the voltage is 12v
Calculate current flowing where;
Both resistors are in series
Both resistors are in parallel
Only 1 resistor is in circuit

The route which uses most current is highest power dissipation (so work out your switching combination to get that route done), then the same for lowest power dissipation.

1. How do I know if a circuit is faulty?

There are a few signs that a circuit may be faulty, such as flickering lights, sparks or smoke coming from outlets, or appliances not working properly. You can also use a multimeter to test for continuity and voltage in the circuit.

2. What are some common causes of circuit malfunctions?

Circuit malfunctions can be caused by a variety of factors, including loose connections, damaged wiring, overloading, and faulty components. Environmental factors such as moisture or heat can also contribute to circuit problems.

3. How do I troubleshoot a circuit?

To troubleshoot a circuit, you can start by identifying the source of the problem. This may involve visually inspecting the circuit for any obvious issues, using a multimeter to test for continuity and voltage, and checking for loose connections. You can also try replacing any suspected faulty components.

4. What is the importance of asking questions when troubleshooting a circuit?

Asking questions is crucial when troubleshooting a circuit because it helps you gather information and identify the root cause of the problem. By asking specific questions, you can narrow down the potential issues and come up with a more efficient solution.

5. How can I prevent circuit problems in the future?

To prevent circuit problems in the future, it is important to properly maintain your electrical system. This includes regular inspections and maintenance, avoiding overloading circuits, using high-quality components, and addressing any issues promptly. It is also important to follow safety protocols when working with electricity.