Circuits-equivalent resistance

• Thread starter smoics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equivalent resistance between points a and b in a circuit. The resistors in the circuit are connected in series and parallel, and the parallel combination of a resistor and a wire results in a zero Ohm resistance. By considering the paths of least resistance, the correct answer of 7 Ohms can be obtained.
smoics
circuits--equivalent resistance

Homework Statement

What is the equivalent resistance between points a and b in the figure ?

Homework Equations

Resistors in series add up, resistors in parallel are 1/(1/R + 1/R...)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried 1/(1/16 + 1/12 + 1/4) + 5, but I get 7.5 and the answer is 7 ohms...where did I go astray?

Attachments

• physics2.jpg
    physics2.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 403
Physics news on Phys.org

smoics said:

Homework Statement

What is the equivalent resistance between points a and b in the figure ?

Homework Equations

Resistors in series add up, resistors in parallel are 1/(1/R + 1/R...)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried 1/(1/16 + 1/12 + 1/4) + 5, but I get 7.5 and the answer is 7 ohms...where did I go astray?

It's a 6 Ohm resistor in the figure, and 16 Ohms in your calculation...

Why wouldn't you add the 6+10=16? Because they're in series and the rest are in parallel...Yet when I add them all up as if they are in parallel, plus the "Extra" 5, I get the correct answer...

smoics said:
Why wouldn't you add the 6+10=16? Because they're in series and the rest are in parallel...Yet when I add them all up as if they are in parallel, plus the "Extra" 5, I get the correct answer...

The 6, 12 and 4 Ohm resistors are in parallel. See how they all are connected at their tops with solid wire lines? And the same for their bottoms -- all connected with solid wire lines.

And as for the 10 Ohm resistor -- can you see how there is a solid wire line all the way from its top to its bottom? What is the parrallel combination of a resistor and a wire...?

So it takes the path of least resistance, which is NOT through the 10 ohm resistor?

smoics said:
So it takes the path of least resistance, which is NOT through the 10 ohm resistor?

Correct-amundo. When you short out a resistor with a wire, you get zero Ohms (for ideal wire -- for real wire, it's still close to zero Ohms).

EDIT -- So do you get the right answer now?

Yes--merci beaucoup!

What is equivalent resistance in a circuit?

Equivalent resistance is the single resistance value that can replace a combination of resistors in a circuit and produce the same overall effect.

How do you calculate equivalent resistance?

To calculate equivalent resistance, you can use the formula: 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn, where Req is the equivalent resistance and R1, R2, etc. are the individual resistances in the circuit. You can also use the parallel and series combination formulas to simplify the calculation.

Why is equivalent resistance important?

Equivalent resistance is important because it allows us to simplify complex circuits and make calculations easier. It also helps us understand the overall effect of resistors in a circuit and how they affect the flow of electricity.

What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, resistors are connected end to end, and the current only has one path to follow. In a parallel circuit, resistors are connected side by side, and the current has multiple paths to follow. This affects how the resistors are combined to calculate equivalent resistance.

How does equivalent resistance change in series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, equivalent resistance increases as more resistors are added because the total path for the current becomes longer. In a parallel circuit, equivalent resistance decreases as more resistors are added because the current has more paths to follow and is divided among them.