I''What is the optimal resistance for maximizing battery terminal voltage?

I'' + ?, where ? is the unknown resistance R. In summary, the terminal voltage of a battery with an emf of V and an internal resistance of r can be found by using the equation V=IR. When adding an external resistance R, the total resistance becomes Req=r+R. To find the value of R that will cause the terminal voltage to be ?, we can set up the equation V/2I'' + ? = Req and solve for R. The possible values for R are r, 4r, and r/4, as given in options A, B, and C.
Alice7979

Homework Statement

A battery has an emf of V and an internal resistance of r. What resistance R, when connected across the terminals of this battery, will cause the terminal voltage of the battery to be
session.quest2951396entrance1_N1002E.mml
?
A. r= R
B. R= 4r
C. R= r/4

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

Req= r+R
= V/I' + V/I''
= ? + V/2I''

Physics news on Phys.org
Alice7979 said:
will cause the terminal voltage of the battery to be
session.quest2951396entrance1_N1002E.mml
?
The image did not appear to upload... Can you try again? Use the UPLOAD button to upload a PDF or JPEG image.

It was supposed to be V/2

1. What is resistance?

Resistance is a measure of how much a material or component opposes the flow of electric current. It is measured in ohms (Ω).

2. How do you calculate resistance?

Resistance is calculated using Ohm's law, which states that resistance (R) equals voltage (V) divided by current (I). In equation form, this is written as R = V/I.

3. What factors affect resistance?

The three main factors that affect resistance are the material of the circuit component, the length of the component, and the cross-sectional area of the component. Other factors may include temperature, the type of current (AC or DC), and the presence of other components in the circuit.

4. How does resistance impact a circuit?

Resistance impacts a circuit by reducing the flow of current and converting some of the electrical energy into heat. This can cause a decrease in the overall performance of the circuit and may lead to overheating or damage to components.

5. How can you measure resistance?

Resistance can be measured using a device called a multimeter. This device measures the voltage and current in a circuit and calculates the resistance using Ohm's law. Another way to measure resistance is by using a circuit simulator software, which can provide more accurate and precise results.