1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuits Help (Filters)

1. Sep 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    photo-8-1.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    *in picture

3. The attempt at a solution
    Not sure where to start. This is a review but I have not covered it yet or if we did, it was very brief?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2010 #2
    if vi were a dc voltage source, it would have the lowest frequency possible (0 Hz). How do inductors and capacitors behave when DC voltage is applied to them as you look at t -> infinity? What would the voltage across the parallel combination of an inductor and a capacitor have to be if they behave that way?

As freq -> infinity, inductors and capacitors behave oppositely to how they behave for f = 0. Apply the same reasoning as above except with the new simplifications for when f -> infinity.

edit:
    Oh yeah. I guess your first step would be understanding what the different types of filters are:

if you find that the circuit has:
    nonzero 0Hz and zero inf. Hz response, it is probably a lowpass
    zero 0Hz and nonzero inf. Hz response, it is probably highpass
    zero for both, probably bandpass
    nonzero for both, probably bandstop

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  4. Sep 6, 2010 #3
    Well, it looks like a bandpass filter. It allows frequencies between a certain range, depending on the values of your circuit elements. It becomes more apparent when you find the transfer function.

If you change those circuit elements into the s-domain, and then write a node equation at [;V_o;], you get:

[;\frac{V_o - V_i}{R}+\frac{V_o}{Ls};+V_o*Cs = 0;]

Doing some algebra, you can get the transfer function,

[;\frac{V_o(s)}{V_i(s)} = \frac{s}{RC*s^2+R*s+\frac{R}{L}};]

with a little more algebra, we can get it into a useful form:

[;\frac{s\frac{1}{RC}}{s^2+s\frac{1}{C}+\frac{1}{LC}};]

For analysis, if you change it into the frequency domain ([;s = j*\omega;]), set some values for our elements and vary the frequency, we can see what will happen. I find it rather easy in MATLAB. There are equations to see where your range will be, but I don't know them off the top of my head. Something about 3dB. This is where you can get into design.

I guess your best bet is to do a frequency response and graph the frequencies from like 0Hz to 1MHz. You'll see your bandpass

Also, we can see as we increase R, the output will decrease. So I think it's safe to say that increasing R will increase your damping factor.

Hopefully this helped.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook