Finding Current Flow in a Circuit: KCL Solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit problem where the current is given but the voltage is unknown. The person asking for help struggles with these types of problems and is seeking assistance. Another person attempts to solve the problem by explaining how to use Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and Ohm's Law to find the voltage and current in the circuit. There is confusion about the diagram and the question being asked, and more information is requested.
th3plan
Ok So how do i find the current going through here. I understand the whole tope a node, and bottom is. How would i set it up using KCL. I struggle with the problems were current is just given no voltage. Can someone please help

If its hard to see picture the 6A is to far left then going to the right its 2olhms and i/4 and 8olhms.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 362
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all the circuit you posted is a pile of **** and you don't deserve help, but ill try anyway:smile:.If you sum all the currents LEAVING the top node you get:-6+i+(i/4)+i^8=0..i labled i^8 as the current leaving the top node entering the 8ohm resistor.Using ohms law i=v/r, the kcl sum is then -6+(v/2)+(2v)+(v/8)=0 solving for v, v=16/7 now we can find i using i=(v/2)=(16/7)/(2)=8/7 ohms, so the dependant current source is i/4 would be (8/7)/(4)=2/7 amps

Last edited:
I really can't make out what you're supposed to find. i/4 is clearly a current dependent current source, but which branch has i current flowing? The second one?

Defennder said:
I really can't make out what you're supposed to find. i/4 is clearly a current dependent current source, but which branch has i current flowing? The second one?

Hi th3plan! :smile:

I also can't understand the diagram.

Where is the battery?

What is that square thing?

What is i? :confused:

Can you type out the question for us? :smile:

What is Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL)?

Kirchhoff's Current Law, also known as KCL, is a fundamental law in circuit analysis that states that the sum of all currents entering and leaving a node in a circuit must equal zero.

How do you find current flow using KCL?

To find current flow using KCL, you must first identify all the nodes in the circuit. Then, write down an equation for each node stating that the sum of all currents entering the node is equal to the sum of all currents leaving the node. Finally, solve the simultaneous equations to find the current flow in each branch of the circuit.

What are the assumptions made when applying KCL?

The assumptions made when applying KCL are that the circuit is in a steady state, meaning that all voltages and currents have reached their final values, and that there are no sources of electromagnetic radiation present in the circuit.

Can KCL be applied to both AC and DC circuits?

Yes, KCL can be applied to both AC and DC circuits. However, when applying KCL to AC circuits, the currents must be expressed in terms of phasors, which are complex numbers representing the magnitude and phase of the current.

How accurate is KCL in real-world circuits?

KCL is a fundamental law in circuit analysis and is highly accurate in predicting current flow in real-world circuits. However, in some cases, the assumptions made when applying KCL may not hold true, leading to small errors in the predicted current values.