Solving an Electric Circuit: Help Needed!

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the total resistance of a circuit and applying Ohm's Law to solve for the current. The poster attempted to find the resistance using two different formulas, but their answer was incorrect. They received advice to use equivalent resistance formulas and Ohm's Law to solve the problem.
qwerty2x

Homework Statement

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/5953/elek.png

Homework Equations

v=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried finding the total resistance of the circuit and then applying ohms law. My answer is 0.65 Amps but that's incorrect.

Any help is much appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
qwerty2x said:
I have tried finding the total resistance of the circuit and then applying ohms law. My answer is 0.65 Amps but that's incorrect.

Hi qwerty2x! :wink:

Show us your full calculations, and then we can see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help! :smile:

Use the equivalent resistance formulas and then Ohm's Law

For two resistors in series [tex]R_{eq} = R_{1} + R_{2}[/tex]
For two resistors in parallel [tex]\frac{1}{R_{eq}} = \frac{1}{R_{1}} + \frac{1}{R_{2}}[/tex]

or two resistors in parallel simplified [tex]R_{eq} = \frac{R_{1}R_{2}}{R_{1}+R_{2}}}[/tex]

Hope this helps!

What is an electric circuit?

An electric circuit is a path or loop through which an electrical current can flow.

What are the basic components of an electric circuit?

The basic components of an electric circuit include a power source (such as a battery), conductors (such as wires), and loads (such as light bulbs).

How do I solve an electric circuit?

To solve an electric circuit, you will need to use Ohm's law, which states that the current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R). You will also need to use Kirchhoff's laws, which are used to calculate the voltage and current at different points in the circuit. Additionally, you will need to use circuit analysis techniques such as series and parallel circuit rules and the use of equivalent resistance.

What are some common problems encountered when solving an electric circuit?

Some common problems encountered when solving an electric circuit include incorrectly identifying the components of the circuit, using incorrect formulas or equations, and not taking into account the direction of current flow. It is important to double check your work and ensure that all components and values are correctly identified before solving the circuit.

Are there any tools or software that can help with solving electric circuits?

Yes, there are various tools and software available that can assist in solving electric circuits. These may include circuit simulators, which can simulate the behavior of a circuit and help identify any errors, and circuit analysis software, which can perform complex calculations and analysis of circuits. However, it is important to have a good understanding of the underlying principles and concepts in order to effectively use these tools.