1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuits Help

1. Oct 4, 2004 #1
    C = 7.20 micro-Farads, R1 = 10.5ohm, R2 = 22.5ohm, V0 = 16.0V. What is the current (to within 0.01A) through R1 immediately after the switch S is closed? I created two equations to represent the voltage drops in the system but Capacitors charge up over time which is confusing me:

16V - i1*R1 - i2*r2 = 0
    16V - i1R1 - q/C = 0

Therefore i2*R2 = q/C subtracting the two. Unfortunately that's two unknowns. I also sort of (but not fully understand) that for a resitor and capacitor in series, q = C*Vapplied*(1-e^(-t*R*C)) so at t = 0, q = 0 and thus no voltage drop across the capacitor and therefore no current. This means that all of the current is flowing through R2 right? Therefore i2 = i1 so..

16V - I1(R1+R2) = 0
    16V - I1(10.5+22.5) =0
    I = 0.48A?

Am I right to apply this to this drawing? Edit 1.33 was wrong. So was 0.48. OK I'm really lost now.

Attached Files:

• doh.bmp
      File size:
      6.4 KB
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2004 #2
    New theory: Is the capacitor being initially uncharged short-circuiting the system? Then the voltage drop along R1 would be 16V meaning that 16=10.5*I, I = 1.523A. Am I any closer? Edit YESS I got it :) Maybe there's hope for me yet.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?