Question: Finding Current in Series Circuit with Household Appliances

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of current in an ordinary household circuit when a hair dryer and microwave are operating simultaneously. It is determined that the current would be 17.48 A. The second question asks about the current if the appliances were connected in series, but this cannot be accurately calculated without knowing the resistance of the appliances. The conversation also touches on the frustration of trick questions in physics.
yuvlevental

Homework Statement

What current would flow in an ordinary 115 V household circuit, if a 1385 W hair drier and a 625 W microwave oven were operating simultaneously on this line?
Answer: 17.48 A

How much current would the hair drier and microwave from the previous question draw, if they were connected to the 115 V line in series?
Answer: Unknown

Homework Equations

P=IV, V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm looking for an answer to the second question. Aren't the first and second questions the same? I can't see the difference...

Physics news on Phys.org
What a dumb question!
What they want you do is calcualte the restance of them assuming the powers given above, then calcualte the series resitance and use that with 115v to get a power.

thanks, but you don't have to be so mean! sheesh! We all make stupid mistakes

I think he was referring the question in your text, not your question about the question.

Sorry I meant it was a stupid question in the book - you don't connect 115V ac appliances like that. I would have been tempted to say 0A because the microwave wouldn't turn on!

It's the sort of thing that puts people off physics - they think it's all just trick questions, when you are supposed to ignore friction here or assume the weight of the rope doesn't matter there.

Last edited:

1. What is a household circuit?

A household circuit is a system of electrical components that are connected together to provide power to various appliances and devices in a home. This includes outlets, switches, and wires that are connected to a circuit breaker or fuse box.

2. How does a household circuit work?

A household circuit works by using a power source, such as a battery or generator, to provide electricity to a series of connected electrical components. The electricity flows through the circuit, powering the devices and appliances that are connected to it.

3. What is the difference between a series and parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the electrical components are connected in a single loop, so the current flows through each component in order. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches, so the current can flow through each branch independently.

4. What safety precautions should I take when working with household circuits?

When working with household circuits, it is important to always turn off the power at the circuit breaker or fuse box before making any changes or repairs. It is also crucial to use proper safety equipment, such as insulated gloves and eye protection, and to avoid touching any live wires.

5. What are some common issues with household circuits?

Some common issues with household circuits include overloaded circuits, which can cause circuit breakers to trip frequently, and faulty wiring, which can lead to power outages or even electrical fires. It is important to regularly check and maintain your household circuits to prevent these issues.