1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuits: Household Circuit

1. Feb 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What current would flow in an ordinary 115 V household circuit, if a 1385 W hair drier and a 625 W microwave oven were operating simultaneously on this line?
    Answer: 17.48 A

How much current would the hair drier and microwave from the previous question draw, if they were connected to the 115 V line in series?
    Answer: Unknown

2. Relevant equations
    P=IV, V=IR

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm looking for an answer to the second question. Aren't the first and second questions the same? I can't see the difference...

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What a dumb question!
    What they want you do is calcualte the restance of them assuming the powers given above, then calcualte the series resitance and use that with 115v to get a power.

4. Feb 14, 2008 #3
    thanks, but you don't have to be so mean! sheesh! We all make stupid mistakes

5. Feb 14, 2008 #4
    I think he was referring the question in your text, not your question about the question.

6. Feb 14, 2008 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry I meant it was a stupid question in the book - you don't connect 115V ac appliances like that. I would have been tempted to say 0A because the microwave wouldn't turn on!

It's the sort of thing that puts people off physics - they think it's all just trick questions, when you are supposed to ignore friction here or assume the weight of the rope doesn't matter there.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?