Circuit Analysis: Solving w/ Kirchoff's Laws for Potential Difference b/w a & b

• Thread starter Sheneron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary: What about the other resistors? In summary, the person is asking for clarification on why the potential difference between points a and b is calculated using the 2 ohm resistor, as opposed to the other resistors in the circuit. They have solved the circuit using Kirchhoff's laws and are unsure of the reasoning behind using the 2 ohm resistor specifically. They are asking for someone to explain this to them.
Sheneron

Homework Statement

http://img185.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p2827altvk4.gif

(b) Calculate the potential difference between points a and b.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved the circuit using Kirchhoff's laws; I had to solve for the current in the 2 ohm resistor. But I am stuck at this question. I surmised that the potential difference would be using the 2 ohm resistor since we solved for it specifically. I found the potential difference at that resistor, and that yielded the correct answer but I have no clue why. I was wondering if someone could explain this to me? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sheneron said:

Homework Statement

http://img185.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p2827altvk4.gif

(b) Calculate the potential difference between points a and b.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved the circuit using Kirchhoff's laws; I had to solve for the current in the 2 ohm resistor. But I am stuck at this question. I surmised that the potential difference would be using the 2 ohm resistor since we solved for it specifically. I found the potential difference at that resistor, and that yielded the correct answer but I have no clue why. I was wondering if someone could explain this to me? Thanks.

Not sure I understand your confusion. You solved for the voltages and currents in the circuit using KCL (most likely). That gives you the voltage across the 2 Ohm resistor and thus the current through it. Why don't you post your equations and solution, and point to what is confusing you about your final answer?

Well my question is why do I use the 2 ohm resistor to find the potential difference at points a and b?

1. What is Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL)?

Kirchoff's Voltage Law is a fundamental law in circuit analysis that states that the sum of all voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero. This law is based on the principle of conservation of energy.

2. How do you apply KVL in circuit analysis?

To apply KVL, you must first identify all the voltage sources and resistors in the circuit. Then, you must assign polarities to each component based on the direction of current flow. Finally, you can write an equation using KVL by summing up all the voltage drops (positive) and rises (negative) around a closed loop in the circuit.

3. What is the purpose of solving for potential difference between two points in a circuit?

Solving for potential difference between two points in a circuit allows us to understand the distribution of voltage and current throughout the circuit. This information is crucial in designing and troubleshooting circuits.

4. Can Kirchoff's Laws be applied to any type of circuit?

Yes, Kirchoff's Laws can be applied to any type of circuit, including series, parallel, and complex circuits. These laws are based on fundamental principles and can be used to analyze any circuit.

5. What are the limitations of Kirchoff's Laws?

Kirchoff's Laws assume ideal circuit conditions, such as linear components, steady-state conditions, and no magnetic coupling between components. These assumptions may not hold true in real-world circuits, leading to errors in the analysis. Additionally, Kirchoff's Laws may become more complicated to apply in non-linear circuits.