Solving Circuits and Calculating Resistance and Voltmeter Readings

• Thread starter QueenFisher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary, the conversation revolved around a circuits question involving a 4.00 V cell with zero internal resistance and an accurately calibrated voltmeter. The participants discussed the calculation of the voltmeter's resistance and its reading when connected across different points in the circuit. They also raised concerns about the voltmeter's low resistance and the potential for measurement errors. Ultimately, they emphasized the importance of understanding an instrument's characteristics and using critical thinking to validate its readings.
QueenFisher
I have this circuits question that I've tried to do, but I'm not sure about my answers and I'm sure I'm going wrong somewhere...

The 4.00 V cell in the circuits below has zero internal resistance. An accurately calibrated voltmeter across XY reads 1.50 V

http://home.ripway.com/2005-7/361234/circiut.bmp

a) Calculate the resistance of the voltmeter.

i did this :

Vyz = 1.5 V
therefore Vxy=4.00-1.50=2.50V

Ixy=Vxy/Rxy
=2.5/60
=0.041666666...
therefore Is=0.041666... (supply current)

I(40 ohm resistor)=V(40 ohm resistor)/R(40 ohm resistor)
=1.5/40
=0.0375

therefore Ivoltmeter=0.041666...-0.0375
=0.00416666...

1/Req=1/40 + 1/R(voltmeter)
=(Rv+40)/40Rv

Req=40Rv/(Rv=40)

Vs=Is x R(total)

R(total)=60+ ( 40Rv/(Rv+40) )
4.00=0.04166666... x 60+ ( 40Rv/(Rv+40) )

96=60+ ( 40Rv/(Rv+40) )
36=40Rv/(Rv+40)
36Rv+1440=40Rv
4Rv=1440
Rv=360

Voltmeter resistance=360 Ohms

This seem way too low for a decent voltmeter, so i think it's wrong, but i can't see how!

and for part b): Calculate the voltmeter reading when it is connected across Y'Z'

I did this:

1/Req=1/400 + 1/360
=19/3600
Req=189.473...
R(total)=189.473...+600
=789.473...
Is=Vs/R(total)
=0.0050666...
V(600 ohm resistor)=Is x R(600 ohm resistor)
=3.04V
V(400 ohm resistor)=Vs - V(600 ohm resistor)
=o.96

Voltmeter reads 0.960V

this seems so wrong!

i have no idea!

please help

Physics news on Phys.org
had a thought: in the last step of b) do i need to take into account the voltage across the voltmeter?? and how would i work it out?

still got no idea on the first bit though...

QueenFisher said:
An accurately calibrated voltmeter across XY reads 1.50 V
The wording in the question and the indication of the voltmeter in your drawing are different.
If the wording of the question is correct, you may want to recheck how you solved this.
Checking your analysis on the basis of having voltmeter as labelled, I agree with your part (a) answer.
Part (b) also looks good. You drop 3.04v across the 600 ohm resistor leaving 0.96V across both the 400 ohm resistor and the voltmeter.
do i need to take into account the voltage across the voltmeter?? and how would i work it out?
huh? :confused:
The voltage across the voltmeter is the same as the voltage across its resistance. Now the purpose of a voltmeter is to just measure
the voltage and not have any affect on the circuit itself. What does this problem suggest regarding artifacts introduced by a measuring instument?

i think it's my diagram that's wrong, i must have put the voltmeter across the wrong resistor! silly me.

i'll go and work it out again. :zzz: won't that be fun.

actually, having just reread the question... it did say the voltmeter across YZ. not XY.

so you think it looks ok?? i just wondered, because 360 Ohms seems too low a resistance for a good voltmeter, seeing as the ones we have even at college are in megaOhms.

I think that the authors of that problem are trying to make a point. If you measure a load that is close to the same impedance as the voltmeter's input impedance, it is going to have a large impact (error) on your measurement.

In other words, you can't just believe whatever your instrument tells you. You have to be smart enough to look at its characteristics and make your own decision as to whether reading is valid or not.

Last edited:
thanks for all the help, i was really stuck on that one.
:approve:

1. What is the difference between resistance and impedance?

Resistance is the opposition to the flow of electrical current in a circuit, while impedance takes into account both resistance and reactance (the opposition to the change of current in a circuit due to inductance or capacitance).

2. How do you calculate resistance in a circuit?

Resistance can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I) in a circuit. In other words, R = V/I. This can also be written as R = ρL/A, where ρ represents the resistivity of the material, L is the length of the conductor, and A is its cross-sectional area.

3. What is a voltmeter and how does it work?

A voltmeter is a device used to measure the voltage difference between two points in an electrical circuit. It works by connecting to the circuit in parallel and measuring the potential difference between the two points. The higher the voltage, the more current will flow through the voltmeter, allowing it to display the reading on a scale.

4. What is Kirchhoff's Voltage Law?

Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) states that the sum of all voltages in a closed loop circuit must equal zero. This means that the voltage supplied by a battery or power source must be equal to the voltage drops across all components in the circuit. KVL is an important tool for solving circuits and determining the voltages at different points.

5. How do you use Ohm's Law to solve a circuit?

To use Ohm's Law to solve a circuit, you first need to identify the values of voltage, current, and resistance in the circuit. Then, you can use the formula R = V/I to calculate the resistance, or rearrange the formula to solve for voltage or current. Once you have all the known values, you can use KVL and other circuit analysis techniques to solve for the unknown values and fully understand the behavior of the circuit.