Designing an Amplifier Circuit for Hypothermia Treatment Device

In summary, the conversation is about designing a device to measure brain temperature and heat the blood to normal temperature for the treatment of hypothermia. The circuit design has been discussed and the poster has attached a picture of a neck patch. However, there are some concerns about the effectiveness of the circuit and suggestions have been made to seek help from experts in medical sciences. Questions have been raised about the design and its purpose, as well as the traditional methods of treating hypothermia. The poster is also asked about the Vcc source, which resistor will heat the blood, and the type of transistor used in the circuit. Suggestions have been made to include negative feedback for better control.
himansipatel
Hi,

I have project to design a device that measures the temperature of the brain first and then heats the blood to normal tempearture. it is used to treat hypothermia. In hypothermia, temperature of the blood drops down. i have designed a circuit for it. I have attached the pic. It is a neck patch which goes around the neck. I showd to my prof he said my circuit won't work. i need to change the circuit. i also need to show the equations for the circuit. Can someone help me with this? Thank you

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    29 KB · Views: 221
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Himansipatel.
I'm afraid that I can be of no help to you. I'm wondering, though, if it might be worthwhile to open a post in 'Medical Sciences' directing people to this one. There's a strong possibility that someone there has experience with such things.

himansipatel said:
Hi,

I have project to design a device that measures the temperature of the brain first and then heats the blood to normal tempearture. it is used to treat hypothermia. In hypothermia, temperature of the blood drops down. i have designed a circuit for it. I have attached the pic. It is a neck patch which goes around the neck. I showd to my prof he said my circuit won't work. i need to change the circuit. i also need to show the equations for the circuit. Can someone help me with this? Thank you

I may end up moving this to Medical Sciences as Danger suggests, but for now I'll keep it here.

The circuit as you've drawn it does appear a bit odd. What is your intent with it? Are you trying to generate a voltage at the collector of the NPN transistor, based on the variable resistance (is that your temperature measuring element?)?

Also, have you done much reading about treatment for hypothermia? Do you know what the contraindications are for active heating? What is the traditional method of active heating, and when is it indicated over passive heating?

himansipatel said:
Hi,

I have project to design a device that measures the temperature of the brain first and then heats the blood to normal tempearture.

Where is the Vcc source?
Which resistor is going to heat the blood?
It seems your transistor is the wrong type.
Your circuit should have a kind of negative feedback (to keep things in control).

Last edited:

1. What is an amplifier circuit?

An amplifier circuit is an electronic circuit that is designed to increase the amplitude or strength of an electrical signal. It takes a weak signal as an input and produces a stronger signal as an output.

2. How does an amplifier circuit work?

An amplifier circuit works by using active components, such as transistors, to boost the amplitude of the input signal. The input signal is amplified by increasing its voltage, current, or power, and then output to drive a load.

3. What are the types of amplifier circuits?

There are several types of amplifier circuits, including common emitter, common collector, common base, and differential amplifiers. Other types include operational amplifiers, class A, class B, class AB, and class D amplifiers.

4. What are the advantages of using an amplifier circuit?

The main advantage of using an amplifier circuit is that it can increase the strength of a weak signal, making it easier to transmit, process, and use. Amplifiers are also used to improve the signal-to-noise ratio, increase the dynamic range, and drive larger loads.

5. What are some common applications of amplifier circuits?

Amplifier circuits are used in a wide range of electronic devices, including audio systems, televisions, radios, and computers. They are also used in medical equipment, telecommunications, and various industrial applications.