How do you calculate circular acceleration and force for a racing car?

In summary: F is the Newtons, m is mass in kg, and a is acceleration in m/s^2.In summary, the racing car has an acceleration of 11.58 m/s^2 and the track must exert a force of 7063.8 Newtons on the tires to produce this acceleration.
itsmarasilly

Homework Statement

A 610-kg racing car completes one lap in 14.3 s around a circular track with a radius of 60.0 m. The car moves at constant speed.

(a) What is the acceleration of the car?
(b) What force (Newtons) must the track exert on the tires to produce this acceleration?

Homework Equations

v = 2*Pi*Radius / Time
a = velocity^2 / Radius
T = 2(Pi)R / Velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

(2)(Pi)(60.0)/(14.3)=26.36
695.01^2 = 695.01 / 60 = Acceleration = 11.58

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi itsmarasilly,

itsmarasilly said:

Homework Statement

A 610-kg racing car completes one lap in 14.3 s around a circular track with a radius of 60.0 m. The car moves at constant speed.

(a) What is the acceleration of the car?
(b) What force (Newtons) must the track exert on the tires to produce this acceleration?

Homework Equations

v = 2*Pi*Radius / Time
a = velocity^2 / Radius
T = 2(Pi)R / Velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

(2)(Pi)(60.0)/(14.3)=26.36
695.01^2 = 695.01 / 60 = Acceleration = 11.58

That looks right to me. Did you get part b?

i think Newtons are basically Kg m/s^2, if so, how do i figure that out from the information given? thanks a lot for your help

itsmarasilly said:
i think Newtons are basically Kg m/s^2, if so, how do i figure that out from the information given? thanks a lot for your help

Pick a certain point on the circle, and let the x direction be towards the center of the circle. Apply the equation Fnet,x=m ax. What forces are to the center of the circle? You already have the mass and accleration. What do you get?

fnet = m*a, so
fnet = 610 * 11.58
fnet = 7063.8 ?

itsmarasilly said:
fnet = m*a, so
fnet = 610 * 11.58
fnet = 7063.8 ?

That looks right for the horizontal direction.

I was rereading my earlier post and I think it could possibly mislead you, so let me add this: They are asking for the total force from the track, and the track puts a horizontal and vertical force on the car. So you'll need to find both of those components to find the total force from the track. What do you get?

No that is the final answer. We are not figuring with vertical force. All that is needed is to take the acceleration multiplied by the mass in kg. F=ma

What is circular acceleration?

Circular acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes as it moves in a circular path. It is a vector quantity and is measured in units of meters per second squared (m/s²).

What causes circular acceleration?

Circular acceleration is caused by a net force acting on an object moving in a circular path. This force, known as the centripetal force, is directed towards the center of the circle and is responsible for keeping the object in its circular motion.

What is the relationship between circular acceleration and force?

The relationship between circular acceleration and force is described by Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In the case of circular motion, the centripetal force is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its circular acceleration.

How is circular acceleration calculated?

Circular acceleration can be calculated using the equation: a = v²/r, where a is the circular acceleration in m/s², v is the speed of the object in m/s, and r is the radius of the circular path in meters.

What are some real-world examples of circular acceleration and force?

Some examples of circular acceleration and force in everyday life include a car turning a corner, a satellite orbiting the Earth, and a roller coaster looping around a track. These all involve a centripetal force acting on the object to maintain its circular motion.