1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Circular Functions

1. Aug 10, 2017 #1
    Does a circular function with complex variable represent a three-dimensional graph?

For example cosiz

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2017 #2

Svein

Science Advisor

The definition of [itex]\cos(w) [/itex] with w complex is [itex] \cos(w)=\frac{e^{i\cdot w}+e^{-i\cdot w}}{2}[/itex]. Substitute [itex] w=i\cdot z[/itex] and you get [itex] \cos(i\cdot z)=\frac{e^{i\cdot (i\cdot z)}+e^{-i\cdot (i\cdot z)}}{2}=\frac{e^{-z}+e^{z}}{2}[/itex]. Looks familiar?

4. Aug 11, 2017 #3
    I have read that 'i' represent the rotation of a sphere. And I have understood that similar to a two dimensional function which forms a quadratic equation, the rotation of sphere along its three dimensional axis will form a cubic equation whose roots contain complex numbers. And my question is that does a hyperbolic function that contains complex variable represent a 3-dimensional geometry in the same way a circular function represent a 2-dimensional geometry?

5. Aug 12, 2017 #4

Svein

Science Advisor

Well, no. It represents a 90° rotation of the coordinate system.
    I have absolutely no idea of what this means.
    As I demonstrated above, the hyperbolic and circular functions are just a 90° rotation away from each other. You can combine them in different fashions, for example (assuming z=x+iy): [itex] \vert \cos(z) \vert ^{2}=\sinh(y)^{2}+\cos(x)^{2}=\cosh(y)^{2}-\sin(x)^{2}=\frac{1}{2}(\cosh(2y)+\cos(2x))[/itex]

6. Aug 12, 2017 #5
    Can you clarify me around which axis the coordinate system is rotated 90°? Is the rotation happening alongside a different dimension than the xyz dimension?

7. Aug 13, 2017 #6

Svein

Science Advisor

Forget the "xyz dimension". The complex plane is a plane, with the real axis corresponding to the "x-axis" and the imaginary axis corresponding to the "y-axis". As you know, it is no problem to rotate the real "xy-plane" 90° without messing around with any third axis. You can describe it as x→y; y→-x or use a rotation matrix: [itex]
    \begin{pmatrix}
    0 & 1 \\
    -1 & 0 \\
    \end{pmatrix}
    [/itex].
    Now: the complex plane has its own version of these rules, making rotations very simple. A rotation with an angle of φ corresponds to a multiplication with [itex] e^{i\varphi}[/itex]. Thus, rotating 90° (which in math term is π/2) means multiplying with [itex] e^{i\frac{\pi}{2}}[/itex]. But as [itex] e^{i\frac{\pi}{2}}=i[/itex], multiplying with i is equivalent with a 90° rotation.

8. Aug 13, 2017 #7
    Any ##f:\mathbb{C} \to \mathbb{C}## represents a 2d vector to another 2d vector, so the graph of any such function would be represented by four dimensions.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  9. Aug 13, 2017 #8

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

z = x+iy has two real dimensions (x,y) and cos( iz ) = u(iz) + iv(iz) also has two real dimensions (u,v). So it can be considered a two closely related 3-dimensional graphs. One is the graph of u as a function of (x,y) and the other is a graph of v as a function of (x,y).

In studying complex analysis, you will learn that since cos( iz ) is a holomorphic function, u and v are called harmonic functions and are related to each other by the Cauchy-Riemann equations: ∂u/∂x = ∂v/∂y; ∂u/∂y = -∂v/∂x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted