Circular hoop Rotation problem

In summary: M} for part bIn summary, the conversation discusses the solutions for two parts of a physics problem involving a circular hoop and a dart. The first part involves finding the angular velocity of the hoop using the conservation of momentum equation, while the second part involves calculating the ratio of final to initial kinetic energy of the system. The correct equations and calculations for both parts are provided, taking into account the mass of the complete system and the fact that the axle does not move. The final answers for both parts are also given.
awvvu

Homework Statement

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/6864/1975m2lm2.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Could someone see if my solution is correct?

Part a:
[itex]I = M R^2[/itex] for a circular hoop.

[tex]L = \vec{r} \times \vec{p} = I \omega[/tex]

[tex]m_0 v_0 R \sin(\theta) = M R^2 \omega[/tex]

[tex]\omega = \frac{m_0 v_0 \sin(\theta)}{M R}[/tex]

Part b:
Using conservation of momentum to find the velocity [itex]v[/itex] of the dart+wheel system:
[tex]m_0 v_0 = (m_0 + M) v[/tex]
[tex]v = \frac{m_0 v_0}{m_0 + M}[/tex]

[tex]K_i = \frac{1}{2} m_0 v_0^2[/tex]

[tex]K_f = K_{translational} + K_{rotation} = \frac{1}{2}(M + m_0) v^2 + \frac{1}{2} (M + m_0) R^2 \omega^2[/tex]

And then just plug [itex]v[/itex] and [itex]\omega[/itex] in from above and calculate the ratio of final to initial? So, after a bunch of algebra:

[tex]\frac{K_f}{K_i} = m_0 \left(\frac{\sin^2(\theta)}{M}+\frac{\sin^2(\theta) m_0}{M^2}+\frac{1}{M+m_0}\right)[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
for part a you should have used [tex] M + m_0 [/tex] instead of M as the mass of the complete system. the dart still has some angular momentum after it sticks to the now rotating wheel.

for part b I think the axle doesn't move, so [tex]K_{translational} = 0 [/tex]

Yeah, you're absolutely right for both of them. Thanks.

The final answer for any future googlers is (oh wait, the problem text was in an image):

[tex]\frac{m_0 \sin^2(\theta)}{m_0 + M}[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is the "Circular hoop Rotation problem"?

The circular hoop rotation problem is a physics problem that involves a rotating hoop with a ball inside. The goal is to determine the velocity of the ball as it rolls along the inside edge of the hoop.

2. What are the key variables in the circular hoop rotation problem?

The key variables in this problem are the radius of the hoop, the radius of the ball, the angular velocity of the hoop, and the mass of the ball.

3. What is the equation for calculating the velocity of the ball in the circular hoop rotation problem?

The equation for calculating the velocity of the ball is v = ω(R + r), where v is the velocity of the ball, ω is the angular velocity of the hoop, R is the radius of the hoop, and r is the radius of the ball.

4. How does the velocity of the ball change as the hoop rotates faster?

As the hoop rotates faster, the velocity of the ball also increases. This is because the angular velocity of the hoop directly affects the velocity of the ball as it rolls along the inside edge of the hoop.

5. What are some real-life examples of the circular hoop rotation problem?

The circular hoop rotation problem can be applied to various real-life scenarios, such as the motion of a ball in a rotating roulette wheel or the motion of a coin in a spinning coin bank. It can also be used to analyze the motion of planets around the sun in astronomy.