1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular Launch

1. Sep 7, 2009 #1
    A ball is launched up a semicircular chute in such a way that at the top of the chute, just before it goes into free fall, the ball has a centripetal acceleration of magnitude 2 g.

How far from the bottom of the chute does the ball land?

Height=2R

I got initial velocity=sqrt(2gR), and I plugged that into d=vit+1/2at^2, to give me 2R=sqrt(2gR)t+1/2gt^2, and I used the quadratic formula and got [-sqrt(2gR)+sqrt((2gR)-4gR))]/g, which simplifies to [sqrt(6gR)-sqrt(2gR)]/g. But, that was wrong...and I'm really not sure where I went wrong. Can someone tell me what the problem is here?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2009 #2
    distance of downward fall = 2R. time of fall = sqrt(4R/g) from d = 1/2 g t^2. Note: the
    initial vertical velocity is zero. (I am thinking of the chute as the right half of a circle---I hope this is the right picture).

Hence horizontal distance traveled = the initial velocity you got, namely sqrt(2 g R),
    times the time of fall. This gives horizontal distance traveled = sqrt(8)*R or 2 sqrt(2) R.

4. Sep 7, 2009 #3
    Thank you, I thought the vertical velocity was sqrt(2gR) for some reason. I see it now, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook