Calculating P for an Aircraft Flying in a Circular Motion

In summary: If you post your answer, I can show you the algebraic approach, which might be interesting and/or enlightening!In summary, an aircraft with tilted wings flies in a horizontal circle of radius r with a mass of 4.00 x 10^4 Kg and a constant speed of 250ms-1. It experiences two forces, P [lift] and W [weight], with P acting at 35 degrees to the vertical. To calculate P, the equation P = W / Cos(35) can be used. Additionally, to calculate the radius r, the equation r = mv^2 / F can be used, where F is the centripetal force.
QuantumNite

Homework Statement

An aircraft flies with its wings tilted, in order to fly in a horizontal circle of radius r. The aircraft has mass 4.00 x 104 Kg and has a constant speed of 250ms-1 . with the aircraft flying in this way, two forces are acting on the plane, P [lift] and W [weight which is given as 3.92*105 N] . P is acting at 35 degrees to the vertical. calculate P

Homework Equations

centripetal force=mass * velocity2 / radius
centripetal force= mass * angular speed2 * radius
angular speed = theta / time
angular speed = velocity/ radius
angular speed = 2pi * frequency
centripetal acceleration = velocity2 / radius
centripetal acceleration = angular speed2 * radius
Force = mass * acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't do it. I swear we need more information. can someone enlighten me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
QuantumNite said:

Homework Statement

An aircraft flies with its wings tilted, in order to fly in a horizontal circle of radius r. The aircraft has mass 4.00 x 104 Kg and has a constant speed of 250ms-1 . with the aircraft flying in this way, two forces are acting on the plane, P [lift] and W [weight which is given as 3.92*103 N] . P is acting at 35 degrees to the vertical. calculate P

Homework Equations

centripetal force=mass * velocity2 / radius
centripetal force= mass * angular speed2 * radius
angular speed = theta / time
angular speed = velocity/ radius
angular speed = 2pi * frequency
centripetal acceleration = velocity2 / radius
centripetal acceleration = angular speed2 * radius

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't do it. I swear we need more information. can someone enlighten me.

What information do you think you need?

By the way, I think the weight should be ##3.92*10^5N##. Personally I would do this question algebraically and just plug the numbers in at the end. That's also a good way to work out what quantities you do need.

Likes QuantumNite
PeroK said:
What information do you think you need?

By the way, I think the weight should be ##3.92*10^5N##. Personally I would do this question algebraically and just plug the numbers in at the end. That's also a good way to work out what quantities you do need.
yes I think that the weight is correct. I couldn't read the sheet correctly.
the info that I think we need : time or radius
I am not sure whether we need to plug it into an equation or just use trig??

QuantumNite said:
yes I think that the weight is correct. I couldn't read the sheet correctly.
the info that I think we need :
I am not sure whether we need to plug it into an equation or just use trig??

You need to think about the forces involved. There's a key equation that will open up the whole problem. And, by equation I mean two quantities that must be equal.

Hint: why doesn't the plan fall out of the sky?

Likes QuantumNite
PeroK said:
You need to think about the forces involved. There's a key equation that will open up the whole problem. And, by equation I mean two quantities that must be equal.

Hint: why doesn't the plan fall out of the sky?
Correct me if I am wrong,
but can I say that the vertical component of P is PCos(35), and it doesn't fall out of the sky because Weight is equal to PCos(35)
Therefore, PCos(35) = 3.92 * 105
So, If we rearrange that equation, P = 3.92*105 / Cos(35) == 321107.6 [1dp]
??

QuantumNite said:
Correct me if I am wrong,
but can I say that the vertical component of P is PCos(35), and it doesn't fall out of the sky because Weight is equal to PCos(35)
Therefore, PCos(35) = 3.92 * 105
So, If we rearrange that equation, P = 3.92*105 / Cos(35)
??

Yes, that's it exactly. Although, I prefer:

##P = \frac{mg}{\cos \theta}##

or:

##P = \frac{W}{\cos \theta}##

Likes QuantumNite
PeroK said:
Yes, that's it exactly. Although, I prefer:

##P = \frac{mg}{\cos \theta}##

or:

##P = \frac{W}{\cos \theta}##
Thanks,
Could you please explain to me how you came to those equations?

QuantumNite said:
Thanks,
Could you please explain to me how you came to those equations?

I just copied what you had done! I just used letters for the quantities involved instead of plugging in the numbers. There are a lot of advantages to this. Not least, once you plug in the numbers, you lose sight of what is related to what and if you make a mistake, well one number looks very like another, and it is hard to spot an error.

That said, I thought the question was to calculate ##r##. I see now that all you need is ##P##, which is a lot simpler.

Is part 2 of the question to calculate ##r##?

PeroK said:
I just copied what you had done! I just used letters for the quantities involved instead of plugging in the numbers. There are a lot of advantages to this. Not least, once you plug in the numbers, you lose sight of what is related to what and if you make a mistake, well one number looks very like another, and it is hard to spot an error.

That said, I thought the question was to calculate ##r##. I see now that all you need is ##P##, which is a lot simpler.

Is part 2 of the question to calculate ##r##?
Yes it is.

but I am pretty sure how to do it

F=mv2 / r ,, rearrange for r

QuantumNite said:
Yes it is.

but I am pretty sure how to do it

F=mv2 / r ,, rearrange for r

If you post your answer, I can show you the algebraic approach, which might be interesting and/or enlightening!

1. What is circular motion at the A-Level?

Circular motion at the A-Level is a topic in physics that involves the study of objects moving in a circular path. It includes concepts such as centripetal force, angular velocity, and centripetal acceleration.

2. How is circular motion different from linear motion?

Circular motion involves an object moving in a circular path, while linear motion involves an object moving in a straight line. In circular motion, there is a constant change in direction, while in linear motion there is a constant change in speed.

3. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It acts towards the center of the circle and is always perpendicular to the object's velocity.

4. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating. It is calculated by dividing the change in angle by the change in time.

5. What is the relationship between centripetal force and centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal force and centripetal acceleration are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the centripetal force increases, so does the centripetal acceleration. This relationship is described by the formula F = ma, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the centripetal acceleration.