• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Circular Motion airplane

• Thread starter Thiendrah
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A pilot with mass m fles an airplane at a speed of v in a turn of radius r. Prove that angle of the wings of the airplane to the horizontal is tanQ=(VxV)/gr

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This was asked on my first exam last week.
Since it's tangent. All we need to get is the force, result will equal to (FxcosQ)/(FxSinQ)=(VxV)/gr?

I'm not getting anywhere with this? Can someone help me?

Answers and Replies

dynamicsolo
Homework Helper
The issue we are concerned with here is how we get the plane to move along a circle of radius r. Start with thinking about the plane flying with the wings level (in a horizontal plane). There are two forces acting on the plane in the vertical direction: its weight, Mg, and the "lift", L, supplied by the wings. With the plane in level flight, these vertical forces must balance.

Now we want the plane to make a turn, so we "bank" the wings by an angle Q. So the "lifting force" will be off-vertical by an angle Q; since it must still balance the weight of the plane vertically, its magnitude will change to L' . (How is it related to Mg?)

This altered lifting force now has a horizontal component as well. This component of L', which will equal L' sin Q , is what supplies the centripetal force to pull the plane into a circular path (for the interval of the wing-banking). So we have

L' sin Q = M·(v^2)/r .

Try things from there.

BTW, a similar argument can be used to explain why a cyclist (leg- or motor-powered) must "lean into the turn" when they want to go round a corner...

Last edited:
oh, I think i got it.

So we got our force FnXsinQ=m.a=m.(vXv)/r, also the other component is "mg", so

when you divide those two, you will get mvv/gr.

thanks a lot.

dynamicsolo
Homework Helper
So we got our force FnXsinQ=m.a=m.(vXv)/r, also the other component is "mg", so

when you divide those two, you will get mvv/gr.
I'm presuming that what you are calling 'Fn' corresponds to the lift force; there is no normal force for an aviation problem. The lift force when the plane is banked by an angle Q will be L' = mg/cos Q .

In your last sentence, shouldn't the mass m have divided out?