1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular Motion and coefficient of static friction

1. Nov 27, 2003 #1
    Circular Motion

I think what I don't understand is how to find the normal force, especially with an object on a hill. My teacher didn't go over it very well so I have only a vague understanding of it. [b(] Here is a sample question that deals with it that I can not seem to figure out how to go about it.

A 1000-kg sports car moving at 20 m/s crosses the rounded top of a hill (radius=100m). Determine the normal force on the car.

I think if I understand how to do this problem, I'll be fine with the others. Thanks for any input!

*edited. Sorry! I posted the wrong problem. haha. This should be the one. Yup, normal force.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2003 #2
    Re: Circular Motion

Because the car moves with constant speed along a circular path, the net force on the object must be the centripetal force. You should have an equation relating the centripetal force. The net force is also equal to the normal force on the car minus its weight.

4. Nov 27, 2003 #3
    Oh... I get it now. Thank you Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?