Analyzing Forces in Circular Motion: Ramp and Ball System

In summary: But you could multiply it by R to get the resultant force.I attempted to derive the resultant force from the equation of motion and the first and second laws of motion. Kinetic energy and centripetal force are conserved, so I could use them to calculate the resultant force.
tbear

Homework Statement

A ball rolls down a ramp which forms a quarter circle of radius 0.5m. The ball weighs 25g. The bottom of the ramp is 1.5m above the floor. Assume no friction between the ball and the ramp. Assume no air resistance.

• what is the force exerted by the ramp on the ball?
  • whatis the force exerted by the ball on the ramp?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum. Forum rules require you to make an attempt at a solution. That's why there is a part 2 and 3 on the template. Doesn't matter if you get stuck just give it a go first.

I used Fnet = Fcircular+ Fg

tbear said:
That force, in which body is acting? Are they components or your equatin is a vector equation. Try to explain your approach in words so we can help you.

tbear said:

Homework Statement

A ball rolls down a ramp which forms a quarter circle of radius 0.5m. The ball weighs 25g. The bottom of the ramp is 1.5m above the floor. Assume no friction between the ball and the ramp. Assume no air resistance.

• what is the force exerted by the ramp on the ball?
  • whatis the force exerted by the ball on the ramp?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Where is your attempted solution?
I would be considering Gravitational Potential Energy (mgh). Kinetic Energy (1/2.m.v^2) and Centripetal Force (m.v^2 / R) at various places along the ramp.
Newton's Laws - especially the 3rd - could be useful at times too.

tbear said:
What do you mean by Fcircular? If you mean centripetal force, that is not an applied force. It is the radial component of the resultant force, i.e. the component of the resultant force that is normal to the velocity. So you would not add it to Fg.

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the distance from the center remains constant. This type of motion is caused by a force that continuously pulls or pushes the object towards the center of the circle.

2. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It acts towards the center of the circle and is necessary to maintain the circular motion of an object.

3. How is centripetal force different from centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the inward force that keeps an object in circular motion, while centrifugal force is the outward force that is felt by objects in circular motion. Centrifugal force is a fictitious force, meaning it is not a real physical force but rather a result of the object's inertia.

4. What is the role of velocity in circular motion?

Velocity plays a crucial role in circular motion as it determines the magnitude and direction of an object's motion on a circular path. The direction of the velocity vector is always tangent to the circular path, and the magnitude of the velocity is inversely proportional to the radius of the circle.

5. How does mass affect circular motion?

The mass of an object does not affect its circular motion directly. However, the mass of an object does affect the amount of centripetal force needed to keep it in circular motion. A heavier object will require a greater centripetal force to maintain its circular path compared to a lighter object.