1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular Motion and forces

1. Apr 20, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A ball rolls down a ramp which forms a quarter circle of radius 0.5m. The ball weighs 25g. The bottom of the ramp is 1.5m above the floor. Assume no friction between the ball and the ramp. Assume no air resistance.

• what is the force exerted by the ramp on the ball?
    • whatis the force exerted by the ball on the ramp?
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2017 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to the forum. Forum rules require you to make an attempt at a solution. That's why there is a part 2 and 3 on the template. Doesn't matter if you get stuck just give it a go first.

4. Apr 20, 2017 #3
    I used Fnet = Fcircular+ Fg

5. Apr 20, 2017 #4
    That force, in wich body is acting? Are they components or your equatin is a vector equation. Try to explain your aproach in words so we can help you.

6. Apr 20, 2017 #5

PeterO

Homework Helper

Where is your attempted solution?
    I would be considering Gravitational Potential Energy (mgh). Kinetic Energy (1/2.m.v^2) and Centripetal Force (m.v^2 / R) at various places along the ramp.
    Newton's Laws - especially the 3rd - could be useful at times too.

7. Apr 20, 2017 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What do you mean by Fcircular? If you mean centripetal force, that is not an applied force. It is the radial component of the resultant force, i.e. the component of the resultant force that is normal to the velocity. So you would not add it to Fg.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted