Circular Motion and Friction?

In summary, the conversation is about determining the maximum speed a truck can travel without a crate of eggs sliding on its flat bed while negotiating an unbanked curve. The necessary centripetal force is calculated using the coefficient of static friction and the radius of the curve, and the resulting equation can be solved for the maximum speed. The conversation also touches on the concept of circular motion and the role of friction in maintaining it.
lo31415926535
Circular Motion and Friction??

A crate of eggs is located in the middle of the flat bed of a pickup truck as the truck negotiates an unbanked curve in the road. The curve may be regarded as an arc of a circle of radius 33.5 m. If the coefficient of static friction between crate and truck is 0.610, what is the maximum speed the truck be moving without the crate sliding?

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Friction must supply at least enough centripetal force to do what is required to the crate... To follow that circular path.

So I drew a fbfd for the crate and so the force of friction = mv^2/r, right?
but how do I do this without the mass.. I think I need to find the force of friction and then solve for v?

lo31415926535 said:
So I drew a fbfd for the crate and so the force of friction = mv^2/r, right?
but how do I do this without the mass.. I think I need to find the force of friction and then solve for v?

Friction is mu*m*g... And mv^2/r if it is going to cause circular motion.

m is on both sides of the resulting equation... :-)

Okay so the mass drops out!

mu*g=v^2/r and solve for v… I will try that, thanks

Thank you very much Jakeus314! It's been a while since I've done circular motion

no problem. :-D

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is when an object moves in a circular path around a fixed point, with a constant speed. This can occur when an object is tied to a string and swung around, or when an object is orbiting around another object.

2. What causes an object to experience circular motion?

An object experiences circular motion when there is a force acting on it, known as the centripetal force. This force pulls the object towards the center of the circle, keeping it in its circular path.

3. How is circular motion related to friction?

Friction is the force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. In circular motion, friction plays a crucial role in maintaining the object's speed and direction. Without friction, the object would continue to move in a straight line instead of a circular path.

4. How does the amount of friction affect circular motion?

The amount of friction present between the object and the surface it is moving on can impact the object's speed and the size of its circular path. Higher friction can cause the object to slow down and have a smaller circle, while lower friction can allow the object to move faster and have a larger circle.

5. Can circular motion ever be frictionless?

In theory, yes, circular motion can occur without friction. This is known as ideal circular motion, and it only exists in a perfect, frictionless environment. In real-world situations, some level of friction will always be present, and it is necessary for maintaining circular motion.