1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular Motion and Friction?

1. Aug 9, 2012 #1
    Circular Motion and Friction??

A crate of eggs is located in the middle of the flat bed of a pickup truck as the truck negotiates an unbanked curve in the road. The curve may be regarded as an arc of a circle of radius 33.5 m. If the coefficient of static friction between crate and truck is 0.610, what is the maximum speed the truck be moving without the crate sliding?

Thanks for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2012 #2
    Friction must supply at least enough centripetal force to do what is required to the crate... To follow that circular path.

4. Aug 9, 2012 #3
    Re: Circular Motion and Friction??

So I drew a fbfd for the crate and so the force of friction = mv^2/r, right?
    but how do I do this without the mass.. I think I need to find the force of friction and then solve for v?

5. Aug 9, 2012 #4
    Friction is mu*m*g... And mv^2/r if it is going to cause circular motion.

m is on both sides of the resulting equation... :-)

6. Aug 9, 2012 #5

Okay so the mass drops out!

mu*g=v^2/r and solve for v… I will try that, thanks

7. Aug 9, 2012 #6

Thank you very much Jakeus314!! It's been a while since I've done circular motion

8. Aug 9, 2012 #7
    no problem. :-D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook