1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular Motion and Friction

1. May 5, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A car drives along a curved track. The frictional force exerted by the track on the car is:

a. greater than the frictional force exerted by the car on the track
    b. directed radially outward
    c. opposite in direction to the frictional force exerted by the car on the track
    d. zero if the car's speed is constant
    e. dependent on the radius of the track

2. Relevant equations
    mV2/R = Centripetal force
    Ffr = Fc if the car is to not slide

3. The attempt at a solution
    So the track must exert a frictional force on the car equal to its centripetal force as it rounds the circle to prevent it from slipping. And this centripetal force is dependent on the radius of the track R.

So from this I think the answer could be E.

But also, between any two objects A and B, the friction A exerts on B is equal and opposite in direction to the frictional force B exerts on A.

So from this I think the answer could be C.

The book says the answer is C. But I want to know why it can't be E.

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2017 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

E is also a correct answer.
    Because the book says so. Seriously, though, E looks correct to me because the force of static friction needed is ##f_s=\frac{mv^2}{R}##. Of course it also depends on the speed and mass of the car, not only on the radius of the track, but I don't see an "only" in E.

4. May 5, 2017 #3
    Thanks for the input! And yes, I feel that a part of the secondary education program is learning to question the books.

5. May 5, 2017 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

E is badly worded? The friction force is inversely dependant/proportional on the radius.

6. May 5, 2017 #5

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not just the books. Question everything.

7. May 5, 2017 #6
    That is also a good point.

8. May 5, 2017 #7
    Very true. I like your signature quote.

9. May 5, 2017 #8

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In my understanding, "dependent" could possibly mean linearly, inversely, inversely squared, exponentially, whatever. As long as there is a "radius" (independent variable) on the right side, the force of friction (dependent variable) is "dependent" regardless the functional form. If the author of the question meant "directly proportional", then it is a poorly phrased question. Again in my opinion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted