1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular Motion and Gravity

1. Oct 4, 2009 #1
    Hi everyone, I am taking my first physics class ever and I'm lost!! I have a couple of questions that are giving me a lot of trouble. Any assistance you can give me is very much appreciated!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A turntable rotates counterclockwise at 85 rpm. A speck of dust on the turntable is at (theta)0.31 rad at t=0 s. What is the angle of the speck at t=7.77 s? Answer should be between 0 and 2(pi) rad.

3. The attempt at a solution
    For this, I changed 85 rpms to 1.4 rps. I tried to find the angular velocity by dividing 2(pi)rad/1.42 rps, and my answer was 4.42 rad/s. Then I plugged the info into the equation (theta final)=0.31 + (4.42 rad/s)(7.77 s) and got 34.65.
    I divided that answer by 2(pi).
    I got 5.51 X 2(pi) rad, following the example in the book. I ended up with a final answer of 183 deg, which was wrong.

The passengers in a roller coaster car feel 58% heavier than their true weight as the car goes through a dip with a 36.1 m radius of curvature. What is the car's speed at the bottom of the dip?

I really don't understand how you figure this out without their true weight?

An earth satellite moves in a circular orbit at a speed of 5247.66 m/s. What is its orbital period?

I used the equation T=2(pi)X(square root)r^3/GM <-- (I hope that makes sense)
    using G=6.67 X 10^-11, M=5.98 X 10^24 and r=6.37 X 10^24
    My answer was 5057.96 s. I tried a couple other ways but they were wrong too.

A 182.4 kg block on a 43.1 cm long string swings in a circle on a horizontal, frictionless table at 55 rpm. What is the speed of the block? The tension on the string?

This one I just need an equation for, the ones that I've found need either one or the other so I don't know how to go about it?

Thanks in advance for anything you reply to!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Shouldn't that be 2(pi)*1.42 rps?

The rest of your calc looks good to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook