What is the magnitude of acceleration for a minute hand in circular motion?

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the magnitude of acceleration for a wall clock's minute hand in uniform circular motion. The formula for centripetal acceleration is discussed and the value of omega is brought up. The conversation also mentions expressing the acceleration as a fraction of the magnitude of free-fall acceleration g. The value of g is given as 9.81 m/s^2 and the conversation ends with the request for the person's work to check for correctness.
dragonladies1
Hi all,

I'm having a very difficult time with this problem. I know that the magnitude stays the same and it involves uniform circular motion, but I just can't seem to figure out how to begin the problem or what formula to use. I would really appreciate any kind of help.

A wall clock has a minute hand with a length of 0.47 m and an hour hand with a length of 0.24 m. Take the center of the clock as the origin, and use a Cartesian coordinate system with the positive x-axis pointing to 3 o'clock and the positive y-axis pointing to 12 o'clock. What is the magnitude of the acceleration of the tip of the minute hand of the clock?

I also need to express it as a fraction of the magnitude of free-fall acceleration g.

Again thank you all very much, any kind of help would be so much help.

Physics news on Phys.org
dragonladies1 said:
Hi all,

I'm having a very difficult time with this problem. I know that the magnitude stays the same and it involves uniform circular motion, but I just can't seem to figure out how to begin the problem or what formula to use. I would really appreciate any kind of help.

A wall clock has a minute hand with a length of 0.47 m and an hour hand with a length of 0.24 m. Take the center of the clock as the origin, and use a Cartesian coordinate system with the positive x-axis pointing to 3 o'clock and the positive y-axis pointing to 12 o'clock. What is the magnitude of the acceleration of the tip of the minute hand of the clock?

I also need to express it as a fraction of the magnitude of free-fall acceleration g.

Again thank you all very much, any kind of help would be so much help.

What is the equation for the centripital acceleration of an object (the tip of the clock hand) as a function of radius and velocity?

Centripetal acceleration's equation is but I've tried plugging the numbers into that equation and can't seem to get it right.

a= V^2/r

dragonladies1 said:
Centripetal acceleration's equation is but I've tried plugging the numbers into that equation and can't seem to get it right.

a= V^2/r

There's another form of that equation in terms of omega. What is the omega of a minute hand on a clock?

Show us your work...

I've never done anything with omega unfortunately. But right now I have this:

a= ((2*pi*.47)/3600)^2/.47

dragonladies1 said:
I've never done anything with omega unfortunately. But right now I have this:

a= ((2*pi*.47)/3600)^2/.47

Be sure to show units in your equations -- it helps understandability and helps avoid mistakes.

Here's a page that should help you understand omega and uniform circular motion better:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_circular_motion

Thank you very much for the help. I also just do not understand what the second statement, "express it as a fraction of the magnitude of free-fall acceleration g." is looking for.

dragonladies1 said:
Thank you very much for the help. I also just do not understand what the second statement, "express it as a fraction of the magnitude of free-fall acceleration g." is looking for.

The magnitude of acceleration due to gravity at the surface of the Earth is generally called "g". Like you feel 1g while standing, and can feel higher g's when stunt flying, etc. Do you know the numerical value of 1g? It's in units of m/s^2.

Yes, 9.81. So would it be:

3.86 E-4/9.81 ?

Although, I do not believe my answer for the first portion of my problem is correct.

dragonladies1 said:
Although, I do not believe my answer for the first portion of my problem is correct.

Yes, taking the ratio to 9.8m/s^2 would be the way to do the comparison. Post all of your work and I should be able to check it from home in a couple hours (or somebody else can).

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the distance from the center of the circle remains constant.

2. What is the difference between uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is when an object moves at a constant speed along a circular path, while non-uniform circular motion is when the object's speed changes at different points along the path.

3. How is the magnitude of circular motion calculated?

The magnitude of circular motion is calculated using the formula v = ωr, where v is the linear speed, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the circle.

4. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It acts towards the center of the circle and is equal to the mass of the object times its centripetal acceleration.

5. How is circular motion related to Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion states that an object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an external force. In circular motion, this external force is the centripetal force that keeps the object moving along the circular path. Additionally, Newton's Second Law of Motion, F = ma, can be applied to calculate the centripetal force needed for an object to maintain circular motion.