Circular Motion and tension

In summary, when the ball is at the bottom of the circle, the net tension on the string is 6.9 N. When the sharp knife is suddenly inserted to cut the string, the ball falls to the ground to the right of where the string was cut.
Lamnia

Homework Statement

A 140g ball on a 60 cm long string is swung in a vertical circle about a point 200 cm above the floor. The tension in the string when the ball is at the very bottom of the circle is 6.9 N. At the very bottom of the circle, a very sharp knife is suddenly inserted to cut the string directly below the point of support.

How far to the right of where the string was cut does the ball hit the floor?
Express your answer using two significant figures.

Homework Equations

F_r net = T = (m*v^2)/r
F_z net = 0 = n - m*g (I'm under the impression that this equation isn't necessary to solve the problem as we are (rather, I am) not needing to find a friction force.)

s_1 = s_0 + v_0t + 1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

T = 6.9N
m = 0.140kg
r = 0.60m

6.9N = (0.140kg*v^2)/0.60m
v = 5.43769 m/s

y_1 = 0
y_0 = 2m - 0.6m = 1.4m
v_0 = 0
a = g = 9.80m/s^2

1.4m = .5*9.80m/s^2*t^2
t = 0.534522s

x_0 = 0
v_0 = 5.43769 m/s
a = 0
t = 0.534522s

x_1 = 5.43769 m/s * 0.534522s
x_1 = 2.9m

Above is my 5th attempt at this problem. It, too, is incorrect. I thought that determining the velocity through the sum of radial forces, and then using projectile motion kinematics would finally prove the correct approach. I have one more attempt to receive any credit for my work. Any input would be most appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lamnia said:

Homework Statement

A 140g ball on a 60 cm long string is swung in a vertical circle about a point 200 cm above the floor. The tension in the string when the ball is at the very bottom of the circle is 6.9 N. At the very bottom of the circle, a very sharp knife is suddenly inserted to cut the string directly below the point of support.

How far to the right of where the string was cut does the ball hit the floor?
Express your answer using two significant figures.

Homework Equations

F_r net = T = (m*v^2)/r
F_z net = 0 = n - m*g (I'm under the impression that this equation isn't necessary to solve the problem as we are (rather, I am) not needing to find a friction force.)

At the bottom of the loop, you don't think that gravity might not also add to the tension on the string?

So... when I took F_r net = T = m*g + (m*v^2)/r, my calcs proved spot on. Thanks, again, LowlyPion :)

Cheers.

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves in a circular path around a fixed point, known as the center of the circle. This type of motion is commonly seen in objects such as planets orbiting the sun or a ball being swung on a string.

2. How is circular motion related to tension?

In circular motion, there is a force acting towards the center of the circle, known as the centripetal force. This force is provided by tension in the string or rope that the object is attached to. Tension is necessary to keep the object moving in a circular path instead of flying off in a straight line.

3. What factors affect the tension in circular motion?

The tension in circular motion is affected by the speed of the object, the mass of the object, and the radius of the circular path. As the speed or mass increases, the tension must also increase to maintain the circular motion. Similarly, a larger radius requires less tension compared to a smaller radius.

4. Can the direction of tension change in circular motion?

Yes, the direction of tension can change in circular motion. As the object moves around the circle, the direction of the tension force also changes to keep the object moving in a circular path.

5. How is circular motion different from linear motion?

Circular motion involves an object moving along a curved path, while linear motion involves an object moving in a straight line. In circular motion, the direction of the object is constantly changing due to the centripetal force, whereas in linear motion, the direction remains constant.