Calculating Work in a Circular Motion Amusement Park Ride

In summary: Now just solve for the speed, v, and then calculate the work.In summary, the task is to determine the minimum work that the motor powering an amusement park ride must perform to bring the system from rest to a constant rotating condition. This is done by calculating the total change in energy of each rider, which includes both kinetic and potential energy. The final result is 1/2*m*v^2 + (L-L*cos(theta))*m*g, where L is the length of the ropes and theta is the angle formed by the rope with the vertical. This calculation does not involve integration of force and can be easily solved by considering the conservation of energy.
Knissp

Homework Statement

An amusement park ride consists of a ring of radius A from which hang ropes of length l with seats for the riders as shown in Figure I. When the ring is rotating at a constant angular velocity, omega, each rope forms a constant angle, theta, with the vertical as shown in Figure II. Let the mass of each rider be m and neglect friction, air resistance, and the mass of the ring, ropes, and seats.

(A picture is given here on page five: www.swcp.com/~gants/calendars/ap%20physics/sept%20docs/(A)%20Newton's%20LawsC.doc)

Determine the minimum work that the motor that powers the ride would have to perform to bring the system from rest to the constant rotating condition of Figure II. Express your answer in terms of m, g, l, theta, and the speed v of each rider.

Homework Equations

Work=change in kinetic energy
work=force*displacement
force=m*a(centripetal)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the force causing centripetal motion is tension.
F(net, x) = m*a(centripetal) = T * sin (theta)
F(net, y) = T*cos(theta) - m*g
T = m*g*sec(theta)
force = m*a(centripetal) = m*g*tan(theta)
displacement = L * sin(theta)
W = force*displacement = (m*g*tan(theta))*(l*sin(theta))

delta(KE)=1/2*m*(v(final))^2-1/2*m*(v(initial))^2, since v(initial)=0,
W = delta(KE) = 1/2*m*(v(final))^2

So I have two separate equations for work. Have I done something incorrectly?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't attempt to calculate the work directly by analyzing forces. (Note that the centripetal force that you used is only the final centripetal force. And that there must be a tangential force while the ride is increasing speed.)

Instead, just figure out the total change in energy of each rider.

Does that mean that the work is just 1/2*m*v^2?

Knissp said:
Does that mean that the work is just 1/2*m*v^2?
No. Consider the total energy.

I'm sorry, I'm just getting more confused. Does this involve integration?
work = integral (F ds)

Fnet = m/r (dx/dt)^2

And when you talk about total energy, so far I have only looked at kinetic. If I look at potential energy, is that relevant?

Potential energy is most definitely relevant. Total mechanical energy equals kinetic plus potential.

K1 + P1 = K2 + P2 (mechanical energy remains constant)
K1 = 0
P1 = K2 + P2

So this means that the rotating figure must have less potential energy than the still one. Where is the potential energy from? It can't be gravity because the second one should have a higher potential energy due to gravity because it's higher off the ground.

And does the solution involve integration of force at all?

:confused:

Knissp said:
K1 + P1 = K2 + P2 (mechanical energy remains constant)
What makes you think mechanical energy is constant? A motor is required to get this thing moving!
So this means that the rotating figure must have less potential energy than the still one. Where is the potential energy from? It can't be gravity because the second one should have a higher potential energy due to gravity because it's higher off the ground.
The only potential energy in this problem is gravitational.

And does the solution involve integration of force at all?
Nope. You'll smack yourself when you realize how easy it is.

umm... K2 +P2 = 1/2*m*v^2 + (L-L*cos(theta))*m*g ??

where L-L*cos(theta) is the change in height.

You got it.

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is a type of motion where an object moves along a circular path. It is caused by a centripetal force that continuously pulls the object towards the center of the circle, keeping it in a curved path.

2. How is centripetal force related to circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that pulls an object towards the center of a circle, causing it to move in a circular path. Without this force, the object would continue to move in a straight line.

3. What is the difference between linear and angular velocity?

Linear velocity refers to the rate of change of an object's position in a straight line, while angular velocity refers to the rate of change of an object's angular position or rotation. In circular motion, the two are related by the radius of the circle.

4. How is work related to circular motion?

Work is defined as the product of force and displacement. In circular motion, work is done when a force acts on an object and causes it to move along a curved path. The work done is equal to the force multiplied by the distance moved in the direction of the force.

5. What is the difference between centripetal force and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that pulls an object towards the center of a circle, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force experienced by an object in circular motion. Centrifugal force is not a real force, but rather a result of inertia causing the object to want to continue moving in a straight line.