1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular motion basics

1. Dec 20, 2004 #1
    How many accelerations are there in circular motion ?
    1) Angular
    2) Centripetal
    3) Linear
    is this right ?
    and if a particle in accelerated motion always experiences an intertial force,
    does an inertial force act opposite to linear acceleration ?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2004 #2
    I am assuming that the Linear Acceleration is the acceleration from the center of mass.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2004
  4. Dec 22, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Circular motion is two dimensional. There can only be two independent accelerations.

Your (1) and (3) are related to each other through the radius.
  5. Dec 22, 2004 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If an object is moving in a circle at a constant speed, then the only acceleration is "centripetal", toward the center of the circle. If the speed is changing (i.e. the length of the velocity vector is not constant) then there will also be a component of acceleration tangent to the circle- which is what I think you mean by "linear acceleration". In that case the angular velocity would also change: there will be angular acceleration but, as Gokul43201 said, that is proportional to the linear acceleration, they are not independent.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?