Period & Radius of Circular Motion: Equations Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses equations relating the period of a rotating object to the radius of rotation and the applied force, specifically in the context of centripetal acceleration and uniform circular motion. It is mentioned that these equations only apply to point particles and not massive rotating objects like a spinning sphere or rod. The avatar of the person in the conversation is revealed to be Mozart.
JohnSimpson
I'm curious, are there any known equations relating the period of a rotating object to the radius of rotation (presumably while under a constant applied force)

What about any relating the applied force to the period?

Physics news on Phys.org
there is a centripetal acceleration (the acceleration an object while it is moving in a circle, towards the center of the circle)
[tex] a_{c} = \frac{v^2}{r} [/tex]
the velocity is distance (circumference of the circle) and the time is the period of one rotation
[tex] v = \frac{2 \pi r}{T} [/tex]
then [tex] a_[c} = \frac{4 \pi^2 r}{T^2} [/tex]

multiply acceration by force and taht gives the force period relation

stunner5000pt said:

multiply acceration by mass and taht gives the force period relation.

Good analysis stunner !

WELL I am no expert in this field... one can attest to that

stunner5000pt said:
there is a centripetal acceleration (the acceleration an object while it is moving in a circle, towards the center of the circle)
[tex] a_{c} = \frac{v^2}{r} [/tex]
the velocity is distance (circumference of the circle) and the time is the period of one rotation
[tex] v = \frac{2 \pi r}{T} [/tex]
then [tex] a_[c} = \frac{4 \pi^2 r}{T^2} [/tex]

And what about the rigid rotators ?

marlon

quasar987 said:
I expected that you'd explain things like "what is a rigid rotator" and "how does the treatement of uniform circular motion made by stunner does not apply to it."
The given treatment only applies to point particles, not massive rotating objects (ie rigid rotators like a spinning sphere or rod)

I'd really like to know who is in your avatar, I assume he is some mathematician or physicist who lived some 235 years ago but I've never seen him before.
:biggrin: Nope, he's not a scientist, he is a far greater genius. You certainly know him.

regards
marlon

Mozart I believe.

Last edited:

1. What is the period of circular motion?

The period of circular motion is the time it takes for an object to complete one full revolution around a circular path. It can be calculated using the equation T = 2πr/v, where T is the period, r is the radius of the circular path, and v is the velocity of the object.

2. How does the radius affect the period of circular motion?

The radius and the period of circular motion are directly proportional, meaning that as the radius increases, the period also increases. This is because a larger circular path means that the distance the object has to travel to complete one revolution is longer, thus taking more time.

3. What is the relationship between the period and the velocity of circular motion?

The period and velocity of circular motion are inversely proportional. This means that as the velocity increases, the period decreases. This is because a higher velocity means that the object is moving faster and completing each revolution in less time.

4. Can the period of circular motion be changed?

Yes, the period of circular motion can be changed by altering either the velocity or the radius of the circular path. Increasing the velocity will decrease the period, while increasing the radius will increase the period.

5. How is the period of circular motion related to the frequency?

The frequency of circular motion is the number of revolutions an object completes in one second. It is the inverse of the period, meaning that as the period decreases, the frequency increases and vice versa.