Understanding Centripetal Force in Circular Motion Experiments

In summary, the conversation discusses a circular motion experiment where the mass of weights on a fishing wire is being changed while keeping the radius the same. The post lab questions ask for a graph of "centripetal force vs velocity" and the formula for calculating centripetal force is discussed. The formula is then applied to the experiment and it is determined that in this case, the centripetal force is equal to the tension in the string, which is also equal to the weight of the hanging masses. The conversation ends with the clarification that the mass stays still in this experiment.
paperdoll

Homework Statement

I did this circular motion experiment where we had to change the mass of weights on the bottom of a fishing wire and we kept the radius the same. The questions in the post lab say to graph "centripetal force vs velocity". I worked out the velocity by using the 2pi*r/t formula but I'm not sure about the centripetal force. Would it be the mass on the bottom of the string providing the centripetal force? Very confused and would appreciate some help :confused:

Thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula for clculating centripetal force is:

[itex]f =\frac{mv^{2}}{r}[/itex]

r is the radius from the axis of rotation to the mass.

rollcast said:
The formula for clculating centripetal force is:

[itex]f =\frac{mv^{2}}{r}[/itex]

r is the radius from the axis of rotation to the mass.

I know this is the formula but apparently in this experiment, I'm supposed be only using the mass to find the centripetal force because the masses are hanging off the bottom of the string while the top is being whirled around.

hi paperdoll! :smile:
paperdoll said:
I know this is the formula but apparently in this experiment, I'm supposed be only using the mass to find the centripetal force because the masses are hanging off the bottom of the string while the top is being whirled around.

oh, you mean the string goes from a mass up to the centre, through a frictionless loop, then carries on to a weight that's being whirled around?

so the mass stays still?

in that case, the centripetal force is the tension T in the string

since the tension is the same throughout the string (because the loop is frictionless), it's also the only force that's holding up the mass …

so doing F = ma on the mass we have T - mg = 0,

so in this case, yes, the centripetal force (= T) is mg :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi paperdoll! :smile:

oh, you mean the string goes from a mass up to the centre, through a frictionless loop, then carries on to a weight that's being whirled around?

so the mass stays still?

in that case, the centripetal force is the tension T in the string

since the tension is the same throughout the string (because the loop is frictionless), it's also the only force that's holding up the mass …

so doing F = ma on the mass we have T - mg = 0,

so in this case, yes, the centripetal force (= T) is mg :wink:

Thanks! That clears things up now :)

1. What is circular motion and why is it important to study?

Circular motion is defined as the movement of an object along a circular path. It is important to study because many natural phenomena, such as planetary orbits and the motion of electrons in atoms, involve circular motion. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering and physics.

2. How can I set up a circular motion experiment?

To set up a circular motion experiment, you will need a circular object, such as a hoop or a disc, and a string or wire to suspend it. The object should be free to rotate around a central point. You can then use a force, such as a push or pull, to make the object move in a circular path. You may also need a timer or stopwatch to measure the time it takes for the object to complete one full rotation.

3. What factors affect the speed of an object in circular motion?

The speed of an object in circular motion is affected by two main factors: the radius of the circular path and the force applied to the object. The larger the radius, the faster the object will move, and the greater the force, the faster the object will move. Other factors, such as the mass and shape of the object, can also affect its speed.

4. How can we measure the speed of an object in circular motion?

The speed of an object in circular motion can be measured using the formula v = 2πr/t, where v is the speed, r is the radius of the circular path, and t is the time it takes for the object to complete one full rotation. You can also use a motion sensor or a photogate to measure the object's speed in real-time.

5. What is centripetal force and how does it relate to circular motion?

Centripetal force is the inward force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is necessary for circular motion because without it, the object would move in a straight line tangent to the circle. The magnitude of the centripetal force is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its speed squared, divided by the radius of the circular path.