1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Circular motion + free fall

1. Jun 27, 2010 #1
    I have this question on my Circular motion assignment, but its somehow connected to free fall. I'm unable to picturize the situation mentioned in question...

A 3.35 kg block is attached to a string that is wrapped around a 1.22 kg, 5.03 cm diameter hollow cylinder that is free to rotate on an axel through the center. The block is released 1.11 m above the ground. What is the speed of the block as it hits the ground?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

As the block falls what happens to the cylinder? What's conserved?

(The block is not in free fall--it's connected by the string to the cylinder.)

4. Jun 28, 2010 #3
    The energy will be conserved. The gravitational potential energy of the block gets converted into tranlational kinetic energy of the block and rotational kinetic energy of the cylinder. I got the answer... Thanks a lot Doc Al !

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook