Circular Motion Homework Help: Minimum Acceleration and Coefficient of Friction

In summary, the first problem involves finding the minimum net inward acceleration needed for a 171 kg roller coaster car to maintain contact with a circular loop of radius 45.9 m. The second problem involves finding the minimum coefficient of static friction needed for people to not slide down the wall of a cylindrical room with a radius of 5.7 m that is rotating with a frequency of 0.17 revolutions per second before the floor drops out.
black_hole

Homework Statement

A 171 kg roller coaster car is on a track that forms a circular loop of radius 45.9 m in the vertical plane. If the car is to just maintain contact with track at the top of the loop, what is the minimum value for its net inward acceleration at this point?

On the Round Up at the amusement park, people stand in a cylindical "room" of radius 5.70 m and the room rotates until it reaches a rotational frequency of 0.17 revolutions per second. At this point, the floor drops out. What is the minimum coefficient of static friction needed so that people will not slide down the wall?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) m = 171 kg, r= 45.9 m
Fnet = Fg
mV^2/r = mag
V^2/r = ag
what do I do from there?

2) r = 5.7 m, V = 35.014 m/s
I know that coeffsliding = Ff/Fn
but what is Fn, what is Fnet

I am confused. help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi black_hole! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)
black_hole said:
1) m = 171 kg, r= 45.9 m
Fnet = Fg
mV^2/r = mag
V^2/r = ag
what do I do from there?

What is "a" ? :confused:
2) r = 5.7 m, V = 35.014 m/s
I know that coeffsliding = Ff/Fn
but what is Fn, what is Fnet

To find Fnet, use centripetal acceleration and Fnet = ma. :smile:

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path. It occurs when an object moves at a constant speed around a fixed point, known as the center of rotation.

2. What are the key characteristics of circular motion?

The key characteristics of circular motion include the constant speed of the object, the fixed distance from the center of rotation, and the change in direction of the object's velocity.

3. What is the difference between uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is when an object moves at a constant speed along a circular path, while non-uniform circular motion is when the object's speed and/or direction changes as it moves along the path.

4. How is centripetal force related to circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It always acts towards the center of rotation and is directly proportional to the mass and speed of the object.

5. What are some real-life examples of circular motion?

Some examples of circular motion in everyday life include a Ferris wheel, a satellite orbiting the Earth, and a car going around a roundabout. It can also be seen in the motion of planets around the sun and in the spinning of a top.