1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular Motion Help

1. Oct 1, 2006 #1
    I am having some trouble with my physics homework.

#1) A 300m-tall tower is built on the equator. How much faster does a point at the to of the tower move than a point at the bottom?

#2) A 5m-diameter merry-go-round is initually turning with a 4.0s perio.d It slow down and stops in 20s. Before slowing, what is the speed of a child on the rim?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2006 #2
    I am having some trouble with my physics homework.

#1) A 300m-tall tower is built on the equator. How much faster does a point at the to of the tower move than a point at the bottom?

#2) A 5m-diameter merry-go-round is initually turning with a 4.0s period It slow down and stops in 20s. Before slowing, what is the speed of a child on the rim?

#3) In the Bohr model fo the hydrogen atom, an electron (mass m = 9.1X10^-31 kg) orbits a proton at a distance of 5.3X10^-11m. The proton pulls on the electron with an electric force of 8.2X10^-8N. How many revolutions per seconds does the electron make?

For #2, I just don't even know how to get the angular velocity with only the period and 5m diameter information to get the non-uniform circular motion velocity. For #3, I don't know how to derive the period (T) out of any of the information they give me. I'm new to this subject, can anyone enlighten me?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  4. Oct 1, 2006 #3
    I just got #1.

5. Oct 1, 2006 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For part 1, there are 2 questions you need to answer. How far does the top travel, How long does it take.

#2. What is the relationship between rotational and lineral speed?

6. Oct 1, 2006 #5

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The fact that the merry go round slows to a stop is unimportant to the question. The general principal of speed applies here. think, what is the distance covered in one revolution of a circle? (It has a name, begins with "C"). How much time does it take to complete one revolution?

7. Oct 1, 2006 #6
    In one revolution fo a circle is equal to 2pi. And in the problem it says one period is 4s. And if I'm getting this straight, which I'm not, 2pi/4 would be the rev/s?

8. Oct 1, 2006 #7
    I got #1, but for number 2, I don't knwo the relationship between rotational and linear speed...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?