Circular Motion Help: Solving Homework Equations

In summary, the conversation is about a problem shown in an attachment that involves circular motion and centripetal force. The original poster is asking for an explanation on how to solve the problem as they were absent when the material was covered. Clues provided by other users include determining the direction of centripetal acceleration and force, using formulas to calculate velocity and force, and considering the effects of a changing time period on an iron ball's speed. A link to a resource on circular motion and centripetal force is also provided.
Paulo2014

Homework Statement

The problem is shown in the attachment.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to answer these questions as I was absent at the time so could someone please explain to me how to work these out please?

Attachments

• Circular motion.doc
    45 KB · Views: 214
Physics news on Phys.org
Clues:

a) They are asking for the direction of the centripetal acceleration.

b) They are asking for the direction of the centripetal force.

c) If velocity is applied, then it moves at tangent. Something is needed to make it travel in circle.

d) Calculate [itex]v[/itex] using [itex]v = \frac{distance (circumference)}{time}[/itex] and then use formula [itex]f = \frac{mv^2}{r}[/itex].

e) Think about [itex]f = ma[/itex]. If time period changes then the iron ball may be speeding up.

Last edited:
I don't understand... I'm sorry

Paulo2014 said:
Do you actually understand what is circular motion and what is "centripetal force" ?

Paulo2014 said:

http://www.s-cool.co.uk/topic_quicklearn.asp?loc=ql&topic_id=7&quicklearn_id=1&subject_id=2&ebt=&ebn=&ebs=&ebl=&elc="

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is circular motion and how is it different from linear motion?

Circular motion refers to the movement of an object along a circular path, while linear motion refers to movement along a straight line. In circular motion, the speed and direction of the object are constantly changing, while in linear motion, the speed and direction remain constant.

2. How do I calculate the centripetal force in circular motion?

The centripetal force in circular motion can be calculated using the formula F = mv^2/r, where m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What is the difference between tangential and radial acceleration in circular motion?

Tangential acceleration refers to the change in an object's speed along the circular path, while radial acceleration refers to the change in the object's direction as it moves along the circular path.

4. How do I use trigonometric functions to solve circular motion problems?

Trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent can be used to solve circular motion problems by relating the angles and sides of a triangle formed by the object's motion. For example, the sine function can be used to find the vertical component of the object's velocity.

5. What is the relationship between centripetal force and centripetal acceleration in circular motion?

According to Newton's second law, the net force on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration. In circular motion, the centripetal force acts as the net force, causing the object to accelerate towards the center of the circular path. Therefore, the centripetal acceleration can be calculated by dividing the centripetal force by the mass of the object.