Solving Circular Motion Help Homework: Find Speeds & Apparent Weight

In summary, the Cosmoclock 21 Ferris wheel in Yokohama City, Japan has a diameter of 100m and 60 arms that function as second hands, making one revolution every 60.0 seconds. Using the equation V=(2piR)/T, the speed of the passengers when the Ferris wheel is rotating at this rate is 5.24 m/s. The apparent weight of a passenger weighing 862 N at the ground level would be equal to their normal force at the lowest point of the Ferris wheel, which is calculated by the formula N=m(g-(v^2/R)), giving a value of 362.24 N. At the highest point, the apparent weight is equal to mg
Santorican

Homework Statement

The Cosmoclock 21 Ferris wheel in Yokohama City, Japan, has a diameter of 100m. Its name comes from its 60 arms, each of which can function as a second hand (so that it makes one revolution every 60.0 s.

Part A:Find the speed of the passengers when the Ferris wheel is rotating at this rate.
-I used V=(2piR)/T and got 5.24 which was correct.

Part B:A passenger weighs 862 N at the weight-guessing booth on the ground. What is his apparent weight at the lowest point on the Ferris wheel?
-This is where I am completely thrown off course. Is it asking for the normal force? I thought apparent weight was just m*g?

Part C:What is his apparent weight at the highest point on the Ferris wheel?
-Same issue with Part B

Part D:What would be the time for one revolution if the passenger's apparent weight at the highest point were zero?
-I would need the proper formula from Part B to find Part D, so I'm stuck here too.

Part E:What then would be the passenger's apparent weight at the lowest point?
-Same issue as Part D

Homework Equations

V=(2piR)/T
Sum of the forces in the y direction= N=m(g-(v^2/R))

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to use that formula but it said it was wrong so I have no clue what to do now. :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
Santorican said:
Part B:A passenger weighs 862 N at the weight-guessing booth on the ground. What is his apparent weight at the lowest point on the Ferris wheel?
-This is where I am completely thrown off course. Is it asking for the normal force?
Yes, the apparent weight equals the normal force.
I thought apparent weight was just m*g?
No, m*g is the true weight.

Hi.

what do you know about the different between ferris wheel and a loop or circle.
Here is what i know At the lowest point in frerris wheel the
Normal force = (mv^2)/2 + mg
And At the highest point would be
Normal force = mg - (mv^2)/2

weight = mg ...

Doc Al said:
Yes, the apparent weight equals the normal force.

No, m*g is the true weight.

Doc Al you are the man! That little answer helped me so much thanks!

What is Circular Motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object in a circular path around a central point or axis. This type of motion is characterized by a constant distance from the center and a continuously changing direction.

How can I find the speed in circular motion?

The speed in circular motion can be found by dividing the distance traveled by the time it takes to travel that distance. This is known as the average speed. To find the instantaneous speed, you can calculate the derivative of the distance with respect to time.

What is apparent weight in circular motion?

Apparent weight is the perceived weight of an object when it is in circular motion. It is affected by the centripetal force and is equal to the sum of an object's actual weight and the centrifugal force acting on it.

How can I solve for the speed in circular motion?

To solve for the speed in circular motion, you can use the formula v = √(gr), where v is the speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and r is the radius of the circular path. You can also use the equation v = 2πr/T, where T is the period of the motion.

What are some common applications of circular motion?

Circular motion has many real-world applications, such as the motion of planets around the sun, the motion of electrons around an atom, and the swinging motion of a pendulum. Other examples include amusement park rides, car tires rotating, and spinning objects such as a top or a fan.