1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular motion help

1. Sep 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The Cosmoclock 21 Ferris wheel in Yokohama City, Japan, has a diameter of 100m. Its name comes from its 60 arms, each of which can function as a second hand (so that it makes one revolution every 60.0 s.

Part A:Find the speed of the passengers when the Ferris wheel is rotating at this rate.
    -I used V=(2piR)/T and got 5.24 which was correct.

Part B:A passenger weighs 862 N at the weight-guessing booth on the ground. What is his apparent weight at the lowest point on the Ferris wheel?
    -This is where I am completely thrown off course. Is it asking for the normal force? I thought apparent weight was just m*g?

Part C:What is his apparent weight at the highest point on the Ferris wheel?
    -Same issue with Part B

Part D:What would be the time for one revolution if the passenger's apparent weight at the highest point were zero?
    -I would need the proper formula from Part B to find Part D, so I'm stuck here too.

Part E:What then would be the passenger's apparent weight at the lowest point?
    -Same issue as Part D

2. Relevant equations

V=(2piR)/T
    Sum of the forces in the y direction= N=m(g-(v^2/R))

3. The attempt at a solution

I attempted to use that formula but it said it was wrong so I have no clue what to do now. :frown:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes, the apparent weight equals the normal force.
    No, m*g is the true weight.

4. Sep 28, 2008 #3
    Hi.

what do you know about the different between ferris wheel and a loop or circle.
    Here is what i know At the lowest point in frerris wheel the
    Normal force = (mv^2)/2 + mg
    And At the highest point would be
    Normal force = mg - (mv^2)/2

weight = mg ............

5. Sep 28, 2008 #4
    Doc Al you are the man! That little answer helped me so much thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?