1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular motion help!

1. Nov 2, 2004 #1
    I need some help with a problem our professor handed out. Thanks in advance for any help.

A car is undergoing circular motion with a radius of 200m. Its initial speed is 3.00 m/s. The car moves so that its tangential acceleration is equal to its centripetal acceleration at all times. Calculate (a) its speed and (b) its centripetal acceleration 40.0 s later. (c) At what instant will the car's centripetal acceleration be equal to 9.80 m/s^2? (d) What will be its speed at that time.

The A sub t, and A sub c keeps tripping me up.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2004 #2
    Well I'll sort of try to start you off. First of all, you know that initially the centripetal acceleration is v^2/r = 9/.2 ms^-2. Hence, the initial tangential acceleration will be 45 ms^-2. Now, you'll also notice that the acceleration is not constant so your kinematics equations won't work. Your can come up with a formula for tangential acceleration based upon velocity. Also acceleration is dv/dt. So you can set up a differential equation. See where you can go with that.
  4. Nov 3, 2004 #3
    Thanks for the help. I am struggling because my math skills haven't developed too far yet.

I worked out for part a) a sub c = dV/dT, so = (final V - 3)/40. This gave velocity of 4.8 m/s after 40 seconds.

From that b) is just a=V^2/R = 0.115 m/s^2

Part C) is the tricky part. Keep coming up with a sub c is dv/dt = v^2/r, then try to integrate. But I am not getting an answer that fits in to the other #'s.

Part D) give acceleration of 9.8 = v^2/r, just solve for the v. 44.3 m/s.

Any other hints would be appreciated.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?