Low RPM Toy Motors for Physics Lab - Ideas Needed

In summary, a physics teacher is looking for low RPM toy motors to use in a hands-on lab for students to investigate angular velocity and RPM. However, the teacher has not had much luck finding suitable motors on Amazon or eBay. They are open to suggestions and ideas on what they could use instead, with a budget of $20-30. One option could be a solar-powered toy fan that can be controlled by the incident light on the solar cell. Another option is a set of motors found on Amazon that can be powered by 4 AA batteries in series. The teacher also has 9V battery connectors available and is considering using a voltage divider to power the motors with 9V instead of 6V.
JFS321
All, I teach physics and would like do a hands-on lab where students are using motors to investigate the concepts of angular velocity and RPM. I've searched Amazon and eBay for low RPM toy motors, preferably those that could be easily powered with a couple of 1.5V batteries. Not much luck.

Any ideas on what I could use to sustain a relatively low RPM (so students could count frequencies)?

Many thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
What's your budget? Amazon will sell you a $16.95 solar-powered toy fan. Presumably you can control the speed by controlling the incident light on the solar cell.

Good idea, and I may end up using it. I was originally hoping for toy motors because they are cheap, and I could purchase enough for about 8 groups. I'm spending my own money so I'd like to keep it $20-30 if at all possible.

I did find these on Amazon, and I could power them with 4 AA batteries in series (another good lesson for students to figure out).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009AQLDSS/?tag=pfamazon01-20

To make things easier, I do have 9 V battery connectors. Other than increasing RPM, would there be any issue with using 9 V instead of 6V?

If you read the questions, someone claims to have hooked up a 9 V battery and "it seemed to handle it well". Another good lesson might be to hook up a voltage divider to the 9 V battery.

Likes JFS321

1. What are low RPM toy motors used for in a physics lab?

Low RPM toy motors are used in physics labs to demonstrate principles of electricity and magnetism, such as motor operation, electromagnetic induction, and rotational motion. They are also commonly used in projects to build simple machines or devices that require a small motor.

2. How do low RPM toy motors work?

Low RPM toy motors operate using the principles of electromagnetism. They have a coil of wire that rotates inside a magnetic field, causing a current to flow through the wire and creating motion. The speed of the motor is determined by the voltage and current applied to the motor, as well as the strength of the magnetic field.

3. What are some ideas for experiments or projects using low RPM toy motors?

Some ideas for experiments or projects using low RPM toy motors include building a simple electric motor, creating a motorized fan or car, demonstrating the effects of changing voltage or current on motor speed, and investigating the relationship between motor speed and load. They can also be used in conjunction with other materials, such as gears or pulleys, to build more complex machines or devices.

4. Can low RPM toy motors be used for educational purposes outside of a physics lab?

Yes, low RPM toy motors can also be used for educational purposes outside of a physics lab. They are often used in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) education to teach concepts such as electricity, magnetism, and mechanics. They can also be used as a hands-on tool for children to learn about basic principles of engineering and design.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when using low RPM toy motors in a physics lab?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when using low RPM toy motors in a physics lab. These may include wearing protective gear, such as safety glasses, when working with the motors, and ensuring that the motors are properly grounded to prevent electric shock. It is also important to follow manufacturer's instructions and not overload the motors, as this can cause them to overheat and potentially cause harm.