1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular Motion in a Magnetic Field Problem Help

1. Sep 15, 2005 #1
    When a particle with electric charge q moves with speed v in a plane perpendicular to a magnetic field B, there is a magnetic force at right angles to the motion with magnitude qvB, and the particle moves in a circle of radius r. This formula for the magnetic force is correct even if the speed is comparable to the speed of light. Show that p = qBr even if velocity is comparible to c. Remember that F does not equal m*a at very high speeds.

Ive been working trying to solve this problem for several hours so I think I need some help. I've been trying to use the momentum principle, p(final) = p(initial) + F*t. Can anyone offer some help or advice?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2005 #2

Staff: Mentor

Why would one use "p(final) = p(initial) + F*t."

Think of angular momentum. If the charge does not radiate, nor collides with another particle, then it has constant angular momentum.

When a particle moves with a relativistic velocity, what correction is applied to the mass? What about the magnetic field?

Think about the formula for angular momentum.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?