• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Circular Motion issue

• Thread starter makerfeldt
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A small object of mass m1 moves in a circular path of radius r on a frictionless horizontal tabletop. It is attached to a string that passes through a frictionless hole in the center of the table. A second object with a mass of m2 is attached to the other end of the string. Derive an expression for r in terms of m1, m2, and the time T for one revolution. (Use any variable or symbol stated above along with the following as necessary: g.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not really sure of even where to start here. I drew FBD for both objects but I'm not sure where that even gets me.

Answers and Replies

Homework Statement

A small object of mass m1 moves in a circular path of radius r on a frictionless horizontal tabletop. It is attached to a string that passes through a frictionless hole in the center of the table. A second object with a mass of m2 is attached to the other end of the string. Derive an expression for r in terms of m1, m2, and the time T for one revolution. (Use any variable or symbol stated above along with the following as necessary: g.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not really sure of even where to start here. I drew FBD for both objects but I'm not sure where that even gets me.
Well, to begin with, what do your diagrams look like, or at least what forces have you identified as acting on each object? What coordinate system are you using?

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
You have to show some attempt at your own work, not just say you've done some, and you need to show exactly what it is. This is in the forum rules and it's there so that we can figure out where you are stuck.