1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular Motion Kinematics

1. May 16, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The rod OA rotates clockwise with a constant angular velocity of 6 rad/s. Two pin-connected slider blocks located at B move freely on OA and the curved rod whose shape is a limacon described by the equation r = 200*(2-cosθ) mm. Determine the magnitude of the acceleration of the slider blocks at the instant θ = 135°.
    QcsaAag.jpg
    2. Relevant equations
    αr=r''-rθ'2
    αθ=rθ''+2r'θ'
    α = √(αr2θ2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am trying to solve for the magnitude using the normal and tangential acceleration components.
    r = 200*(2-cosθ) --> r(135) = 541.42 mm θ' = 6 rad/s
    r' = 200 sinθ * θ' --> r'(135) = 848.53 mm/s θ'' = 0
    r'' = 200cosθ * θ'2= -5091.17 mm/s2

When I plug all those values in I keep getting the wrong answer. Can someone tell me where I am going wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Careful with the signs. Note that the rod is rotating clockwise.

4. May 16, 2016 #3
    Can you explain that more? Is this because there is a negative change in θ over time?

5. May 16, 2016 #4
    I ended up getting the right answer, must have just been a miscalculation.

6. May 16, 2016 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. In the figure, ##\theta## increases in the counterclockwise direction. Therefore, if the rod rotates clockwise, ##\dot{\theta}## is a negative number. You should find that ##\dot{r}## is negative when ##\theta = 135^o##.

7. May 16, 2016 #6
    Okay I understand that. Thank you for explaining. I just go lucky in my calculations because they ended up cancelling the negatives out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted