How Do You Calculate Acceleration in a Limacon-Shaped Path?

In summary, the rod OA is rotating clockwise with a constant angular velocity of 6 rad/s. Two pin-connected slider blocks located at B move freely on OA and the curved rod has a shape described by the equation r = 200*(2-cosθ) mm. The magnitude of the acceleration of the slider blocks at the instant θ = 135° can be determined by using the equations for normal and tangential acceleration. Careful attention must be paid to the signs, as the rod is rotating clockwise, resulting in negative values for θ'.
Nikstykal

Homework Statement

The rod OA rotates clockwise with a constant angular velocity of 6 rad/s. Two pin-connected slider blocks located at B move freely on OA and the curved rod whose shape is a limacon described by the equation r = 200*(2-cosθ) mm. Determine the magnitude of the acceleration of the slider blocks at the instant θ = 135°.
QcsaAag.jpg

Homework Equations

αr=r''-rθ'2
αθ=rθ''+2r'θ'
α = √(αr2θ2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to solve for the magnitude using the normal and tangential acceleration components.
r = 200*(2-cosθ) --> r(135) = 541.42 mm θ' = 6 rad/s
r' = 200 sinθ * θ' --> r'(135) = 848.53 mm/s θ'' = 0
r'' = 200cosθ * θ'2= -5091.17 mm/s2

When I plug all those values in I keep getting the wrong answer. Can someone tell me where I am going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Careful with the signs. Note that the rod is rotating clockwise.

TSny said:
Careful with the signs. Note that the rod is rotating clockwise.

Can you explain that more? Is this because there is a negative change in θ over time?

I ended up getting the right answer, must have just been a miscalculation.

Nikstykal said:
Can you explain that more? Is this because there is a negative change in θ over time?
Yes. In the figure, ##\theta## increases in the counterclockwise direction. Therefore, if the rod rotates clockwise, ##\dot{\theta}## is a negative number. You should find that ##\dot{r}## is negative when ##\theta = 135^o##.

TSny said:
Yes. In the figure, ##\theta## increases in the counterclockwise direction. Therefore, if the rod rotates clockwise, ##\dot{\theta}## is a negative number. You should find that ##\dot{r}## is negative when ##\theta = 135^o##.

Okay I understand that. Thank you for explaining. I just go lucky in my calculations because they ended up cancelling the negatives out.

1. What is circular motion kinematics?

Circular motion kinematics is the study of the motion of an object along a circular path. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of the object as it moves along the path.

2. What is the difference between linear and circular motion kinematics?

The main difference between linear and circular motion kinematics is the path that the object follows. In linear motion, the object moves along a straight line, while in circular motion, the object moves along a circular path. Additionally, the equations used to describe the motion are different for each type of kinematics.

3. What is the relationship between speed and velocity in circular motion?

In circular motion, speed and velocity are not the same. Speed refers to the distance traveled per unit time, while velocity refers to the displacement per unit time. In circular motion, the speed is constant, but the velocity changes as the direction of the object's motion changes.

4. How is centripetal acceleration related to circular motion kinematics?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration directed towards the center of a circular path. In circular motion kinematics, it is one of the components of acceleration, along with tangential acceleration. Together, they make up the total acceleration of the object moving in a circular path.

5. How are the equations of motion for circular motion derived?

The equations of motion for circular motion can be derived from the basic principles of kinematics, such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration. By analyzing the motion along the circular path, we can derive equations that relate these variables to each other, such as the centripetal acceleration formula or the tangential velocity formula.