1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular Motion -- maximum speed Tarzan can tolerate at the lowest point of his swing?

1. Nov 11, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Tarzan plans to cross a gorge by swinging in an arc from a hanging vine. If his arms are capable of exerting a force of 1500N on the rope, what is the maximum speed he can tolerate at the lowest point of his swing? His mass is 85kg; the vine is 4.0m long

2. Relevant equations
    Fc = mv2/r
    Fg = mg
    T = Fc +Fg
    Fc = T-Fg
    3. The attempt at a solution
    How I did it at first was:
    T = Fc+ Fg
    Fc=T-Fg
    mv^2/r = 1500 -mg
    V^2/4 =1500 - 10(cancelled out the masses)
    v = 1500 -10(4) ~~~~(idk how to the square root in my calculator hopefully u get the idea)
    v = 38.2 m/s
    -----------------------------
    The answer was wrong according to the textbook( 5.6m/s at the lowest point of the swing)
    So I tried another way starting from the side
    T = Fc
    1500 = mv^2/r
    1500 = 85v^2/4
    1500(4)/85 (square root) = v
    v= 1.823 m/s
    -------------------------
    WHAT HAVE I DONE WRONG :c I used the equations I was taught but meeh please help

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How do you cancel out the masses and leave the 1500 unchanged? This is where your problems start.

It takes more than just memorizing some equations. You've got to get the math right as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted