Calculating Tarzan's Max Swing Speed

In summary, when attempting to solve for the maximum speed that Tarzan can tolerate at the lowest point of his swing, you made a mistake in your first attempt by incorrectly canceling out the mass term in the equation. In your second attempt, you used the correct equation, but made a calculation error resulting in an incorrect answer. It is important to carefully check your work and use the proper mathematical techniques when solving problems like this.
Quantum Fizzics

Homework Statement

Tarzan plans to cross a gorge by swinging in an arc from a hanging vine. If his arms are capable of exerting a force of 1500N on the rope, what is the maximum speed he can tolerate at the lowest point of his swing? His mass is 85kg; the vine is 4.0m long

Homework Equations

Fc = mv2/r
Fg = mg
T = Fc +Fg
Fc = T-Fg

The Attempt at a Solution

How I did it at first was:
T = Fc+ Fg
Fc=T-Fg
mv^2/r = 1500 -mg
V^2/4 =1500 - 10(cancelled out the masses)
v = 1500 -10(4) ~~~~(idk how to the square root in my calculator hopefully u get the idea)
v = 38.2 m/s
-----------------------------
The answer was wrong according to the textbook( 5.6m/s at the lowest point of the swing)
So I tried another way starting from the side
T = Fc
1500 = mv^2/r
1500 = 85v^2/4
1500(4)/85 (square root) = v
v= 1.823 m/s
-------------------------
WHAT HAVE I DONE WRONG :c I used the equations I was taught but meeh please help

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum Fizzics said:

Homework Statement

Tarzan plans to cross a gorge by swinging in an arc from a hanging vine. If his arms are capable of exerting a force of 1500N on the rope, what is the maximum speed he can tolerate at the lowest point of his swing? His mass is 85kg; the vine is 4.0m long

Homework Equations

Fc = mv2/r
Fg = mg
T = Fc +Fg
Fc = T-Fg

The Attempt at a Solution

How I did it at first was:
T = Fc+ Fg
Fc=T-Fg
mv^2/r = 1500 -mg
V^2/4 =1500 - 10(cancelled out the masses)

How do you cancel out the masses and leave the 1500 unchanged? This is where your problems start.

v = 1500 -10(4) ~~~~(idk how to the square root in my calculator hopefully u get the idea)
v = 38.2 m/s
-----------------------------
The answer was wrong according to the textbook( 5.6m/s at the lowest point of the swing)
So I tried another way starting from the side
T = Fc
1500 = mv^2/r
1500 = 85v^2/4
1500(4)/85 (square root) = v
v= 1.823 m/s
-------------------------
WHAT HAVE I DONE WRONG :c I used the equations I was taught but meeh please help

It takes more than just memorizing some equations. You've got to get the math right as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How is Tarzan's max swing speed calculated?

Tarzan's max swing speed is calculated using the formula v = √(g x L), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and L is the length of the rope.

2. What is the length of the rope used to calculate Tarzan's max swing speed?

The length of the rope used to calculate Tarzan's max swing speed is typically assumed to be 25 feet (7.6 meters), which is the average length of a vine in the jungle.

3. What is the acceleration due to gravity used in the calculation of Tarzan's max swing speed?

The acceleration due to gravity used in the calculation of Tarzan's max swing speed is 9.8 m/s², which is the standard value used for Earth's gravitational acceleration.

4. Does Tarzan's body mass affect his max swing speed?

Yes, Tarzan's body mass does have an effect on his max swing speed. The heavier he is, the slower his max swing speed will be due to the increased force of gravity pulling him down.

5. Can factors like wind resistance and air density affect Tarzan's max swing speed?

Yes, factors like wind resistance and air density can affect Tarzan's max swing speed. These factors can create drag and make it more difficult for Tarzan to maintain his speed while swinging.