Analyzing Circular Motion: Work and Tension Calculations

In summary, a ball is spun at a constant velocity and two questions are asked regarding the work done by the cord in one revolution and the expected tension in the cord. The first question is solved using the work formula W=Fd and substituting F=ma. However, since the ball is not accelerating horizontally, the only other accelerating force is gravity and the work done is calculated to be 0.98 kgm2/s2. The second question is solved by using the formula F=ma and considering the special acceleration involved in uniform circular motion. The expected tension in the cord is found to be 5.476 N.
Malicious
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/7007/untitledpq6.png

A ball is spun at a constant velocity.

a. How much work is done by the cord in one revolution?

b. The speed of the ball is determined to be 3.7 m/s. Assuming that the cord is horizontal as it swings, calculate the expected tension in the cord.
-------------------
What steps should I take to solve these two questions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, please don't double post! Secondly, note that you are required to show your working before we can help with homework problems. So, do you have any thoughts on how to proceed? Do you know any equations/concepts?

P.S. In future, please use the homework template with which you were provided!

How did I double post?

Some thoughts.
- Since part a asks for "work", I thought I'd try the work forumula. W=Fd. I then substituted F=ma into the forumula and got W=mad. I plugged in the variables and got W=(0.200kg)(0.500m)a. Since the ball is not accelerating horizontally as its rotating, the only other accelerating I could see acting on the object would be gravity. So, I plug 9.8 m/s2 into it and get 0.98 kgm2/s2.
- I have no clue how to approach part b. I just know that T=ma. I have not yet done problems asking to find tension on objects that are rotating.

mmmmmmmm... you arent really approaching this correctly. Work at its true level is just the amount of energy changed. You notice though, that the ball is not changing energy!
Also note that your use of the work formula is not done correctly. The force is in the direction of the motion--that motion being the distance. Since the force is inward, and all the motion is perpendicular you should realize the same thing as I already said.
For part B--there is another acceleration--the acceleration involved in changing the direction of the object (the one involved in all circular motion)

Ja4Coltrane said:
mmmmmmmm... you arent really approaching this correctly. Work at its true level is just the amount of energy changed. You notice though, that the ball is not changing energy!
Also note that your use of the work formula is not done correctly. The force is in the direction of the motion--that motion being the distance. Since the force is inward, and all the motion is perpendicular you should realize the same thing as I already said.
For part B--there is another acceleration--the acceleration involved in changing the direction of the object (the one involved in all circular motion)

Are you referring to this acceleration?
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/3849/u6l1e2ir5.gif

------------------------------------
a.
If I use W=mad, I still do not know the acceleration or velocity since it is not given in part a. Am I using the right forumula?
b.
Circumference=2(3.14)(0.500m)
Circumference= 3.14 m

F=ma
F=(0.200kg)((3.7m/s)^2)/(3.14m))
F=0.872 N

Is this correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
A)okay, here is the question--your ma is directed inward. That means that the d that you want is the d inward. You should see that there is no inward distance, only sideways which does not matter. W actually=F "dot" D=FDcos@. Cos@=cos90=0.

B)MV^2/RADIUS!

There is only one force acting on the ball: tension in the string! Notice that, because it's very important.

First, the work formula is only W = Fd if the object moves in the same direction as the force F. Is the object moving in the direction of the force on it (tension in the string)?

In other cases, [tex]W = Fd\,cos(\theta)[/tex], where [tex]\theta[/tex] is the angle between the force F and the direction of the path along which the object moves, d.

If I push with all my strength on the side of the Empire State building, I do absolutely no work because it hasn't moved an inch. If I exert F1 on a crate like this:
forces_and_work.gif

then the part of my force that actually DOES WORK is only the x-component of F1, [tex]F_1 cos(\theta)[/tex] which is represented in the picture by the thin red line, because the object is moving to the right--not in the direction of my force.

If I apply force F2 and the object moves to the right (notice that now the angle [tex]\theta[/tex] between my force and the object's displacement is 90 degrees) I do NO WORK, because [tex]W = Fd\,cos(90^\circ) = Fd (0) = 0[/tex]!

That's for part A. For part B, think about the fact that tension in the string is the only force acting on the ball, and the ball is in uniform circular motion. Use F = ma...and think about what is special about the acceleration in uniform circular motion!

Attachments

• forces_and_work.gif
    forces_and_work.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:
A)okay, here is the question--your ma is directed inward. That means that the d that you want is the d inward. You should see that there is no inward distance, only sideways which does not matter. W actually=F "dot" D=FDcos@. Cos@=cos90=0.

So, you're saying that there is no work being done by the cord since F*D=FDcos@= 0 ?

B)MV^2/RADIUS!

My bad. :redface:

F = m*a
F=m*(v^2/r)
F = (0.200kg)*((3.7m/s)^2)/(0.500m))
F = 5.476

Right?

Last edited:
Yay! :) That's right. (Assuming that there is no gravity.)

Last edited:
great! exactly what I got

AWESOME! :biggrin: Thanks for your help guys.

What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path. This means that the object continuously travels in a circular direction, with a constant speed and changing direction.

What causes circular motion?

In circular motion, there are two main forces at play: centripetal force and centrifugal force. Centripetal force is the force that keeps the object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the equal and opposite force that acts on the object in the opposite direction. These two forces work together to maintain the circular motion of an object.

How do you calculate the speed of an object in circular motion?

To calculate the speed of an object in circular motion, you can use the formula v = 2πr/T, where v is the speed, r is the radius of the circular path, and T is the time it takes for the object to complete one full revolution. This formula is also known as the tangential velocity formula.

What is the difference between uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is when an object moves along a circular path with a constant speed, while non-uniform circular motion is when the speed of the object varies along the circular path. In non-uniform circular motion, the object may experience changes in speed, direction, or both.

What are some real-life examples of circular motion?

Some common examples of circular motion in everyday life include the movement of a Ferris wheel, the rotation of a ceiling fan, the orbit of planets around the sun, and the swinging of a pendulum. Circular motion can also be observed in sports, such as a basketball spinning around a hoop or a figure skater performing a spin on the ice.