1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular Motion of a bucket

1. Dec 23, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 3.75 kg bucket pile of water is swung in a vertical circle. If the speed of the bucket at the top of the loop is 6.20 m/s, then the radius of the largest circle through which this pail could move without the water leaving the bottom of the pail would be what?

m = 3.75 kg

v = 6.20 m/s

r = ?

I was thinking to use Fc = mv^2/r but I'm not given Fc. I'm not sure what formula I should use or how to go about solving this question. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2014 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Step 1 read the question. Step 2 is to reread the question for the information you need.

4. Dec 23, 2014 #3
    What do you mean?

5. Dec 23, 2014 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's stated all over the forum that you are going to have to do some of the work. If I quote a piece of your original post, that is what is called a "hint."

6. Dec 23, 2014 #5
    Well I sort of figured that. I'm not trying to get out of doing the work, I'm just not sure what formula I should use or how I should go about the question.

7. Dec 23, 2014 #6

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Does the question place you specifically on the Moon? Or Mars? Or elsewhere in the solar system? You may assume that you are on the Earth's surface.

8. Dec 23, 2014 #7
    So g = -9.81. Is Fc equal to Fg or something like that then ?

9. Dec 23, 2014 #8

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Makes a good place to start.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted