Circular Motion of a bucket

Homework Statement

A 3.75 kg bucket pile of water is swung in a vertical circle. If the speed of the bucket at the top of the loop is 6.20 m/s, then the radius of the largest circle through which this pail could move without the water leaving the bottom of the pail would be what?

m = 3.75 kg

v = 6.20 m/s

r = ?

I was thinking to use Fc = mv^2/r but I'm not given Fc. I'm not sure what formula I should use or how to go about solving this question. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answers and Replies

Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
at the top of the loop is 6.20 m/s,
Step 1 read the question. Step 2 is to reread the question for the information you need.

Step 1 read the question. Step 2 is to reread the question for the information you need.
What do you mean?

Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
It's stated all over the forum that you are going to have to do some of the work. If I quote a piece of your original post, that is what is called a "hint."

Well I sort of figured that. I'm not trying to get out of doing the work, I'm just not sure what formula I should use or how I should go about the question.

Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Does the question place you specifically on the Moon? Or Mars? Or elsewhere in the solar system? You may assume that you are on the Earth's surface.

So g = -9.81. Is Fc equal to Fg or something like that then ?

Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Makes a good place to start.