Does circular motion affect different points on a car's wheels differently?

In summary: Since the outer point is covering more distance in a shorter amount of time, the rate of change is greater.But is the magnitude of the vector the same? no it is not, because the magnitude is a measure of how big the vector is, and the magnitude of the vector is greater for the outer point because it's covering more ground in a shorter amount of time.Ok so now we know that the rate of change is greater, and the magnitude is greater, but is the direction the same? yes it is! Because the direction is always pointing in the same direction, the direction of the acceleration is also the same. So in summary, a and b are both correct, but I don't know why! :)
SemperFiKandJ
I have a few questions...okay lots actually! I am terribly confused and hopefully you can help me!

A car is up on a hydraulic lift at a garage. The wheels are free to rotate, and the drive wheels are rotating with a constant angular velocity. Does a point on the rim of a wheel have a.) a tangential acceleration and b.) a centripetal acceleration?

Two points are located on a rigid wheel that is rotating with an increasing angular velocity about a fixed axis, The axis is perpendicular to the wheel at its center. Point 1 is located on the rim, and point 2 is halfway between the rim and the axis. At any given instant which point if either has a greater a) angular velocity b) angular acceleration c) tangential speed d) tangential acceleration and e) centripetal acceleration?

A building is locating on the Earth's equator. Which has the greatest tangential speed due to the Earth's rotation, the top floor, the bottom floor, or neither?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am going in circles with these! I seriously have read the book, and my brain is just broken! I am thinking that a and b for the first question are both yes, but I honestly do not know why! I don't even know where to start to be honest, I am sure if I get started I can finish it!

Nope.The answer to the first question (a) from 1 is NO.Why?HINT:the angular velocity is constant...

Daniel.

For the first problem: "constant angular velocity" is all the clue you need for this... what do you know about uniform circular motion? That is, first of all IS THERE an acceleration? And if there is, what direction does it point when the object travels with CONSTANT speed? That is, how many vectors would you need to draw when for a constant speed case? Then decide how many you'd draw if the wheels were speeding up.

You would do well to find diagrams in your text that show what centripetal and tangential acceleration vectors look like.

So if angular velocity is constant there won't be a tangential acceleration, but there will be centripetal acceleration? Because velocity and acceleration are both vectors, I thought they had a direct relationship! Maybe I don't understan the difference between centripetal and tangential accelerations! Isn't tangential a linear line from a point in a circle, and centripetal just the circle?

You are indeed correct, however you are confusing angular velocity with the normal velocity vectors you've probably been dealing with...

Angular velocity is described by a pseudovector designated by a right hand rule... in this simplistic case, you need the information only to know that the wheel is spinning without speeding up or slowing down...

With that in mind, there is indeed a tangential velocity vector associated at the points along the wheel, but the acceleration vector points toward the center. The reason why it always points to the center is that the direction of the velocity vector (thats TANGENTIAL) is changing at a CONSTANT rate... that is, just because the magnitude of the vector isn't changing, an acceleration occurs from the simple fact that the direction is... furthur butressing the fact that velocity can never ever be treated as a scalar.

I admit, it's really difficult to, at first, accept the fact that even though acceleration points toward the center of the circle, why is it that things are not pulled toward the middle... ? You'll hopefully cover this phenomenon soon enough.

I am sorry! I think I am physics retarded! I am totally confused now! Maybe I am trying to make it more simple then it really is! What about the other two? Along the same lines? Any hints?

Ok so for problem 2 part a which point has a greater angular velocity?

Well, I hope that your professor has shown you this general equation

[tex]\omega=\frac{v}{r}[/tex]

Well let's take a look at it! The point at the outter part of the wheel at the rim... its covering more distance in a lesser amount of time than the inner point right? So what quantity in the aforementioned equation does the outter point have more of? In addition, what other quantity does it have more of than compared to the inner point? You will end up comparing two ratios--- are they equal?

Last edited:
Let's attack part b:

angular acceleration

Well let's see here, you need to understand what tangential acceleration is to really know this...

I hope your professor has gone over the general equation

[tex]\alpha=\frac{a_t}{r}[/tex]

Now let's take a look at that... the wheel is spinning faster and faster right? we know that the tangential accelerations are simply the rate of change of the tangential velocities of the two points... even though the tangential velocity of the outer point is greater than the inner, is the rate at which it's changing any different? I think you can answer the question if you know that!

Part c and d should be a breeze after understanding part a and b. But what about part e? Centripetal acceleration!

Well I hope your professor has gone over the general equation

[tex]a_c=\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]

now with this, we know that the outter point has a greater velocity correct? We also know that it has a greater radius --- but look at that! v is SQUARED! It's a matter of precedence, who beats out who! ?

Ahhh! I am pulling out my hair! I am going to give these all a shot! Thank you for your help! I might have more questions, but not tongiht! Definitely tomorrow!

No problem--- I remember my first physics class was quite scary--- just keep at it, it will come with practice and reading.

And this website :D jk.

I know this is a bit late probably, but you can use that same analysis to answer: Which has the greatest tangential speed due to the Earth's rotation, the top floor, the bottom floor, or neither?

1. What is circular motion in relation to a car?

Circular motion of a car refers to the movement of a car in a circular path, where the car is constantly changing direction but maintaining a constant speed. This can occur when a car is traveling around a curve or when it is driving in a circular track.

2. What causes circular motion in a car?

Circular motion in a car is caused by the combination of two forces: the car's inertia and the force of friction between the car's tires and the road. As the car turns, the inertia of the car's mass causes it to continue moving in a straight line, while the friction between the tires and the road provides the centripetal force needed to change the car's direction and keep it in a circular path.

3. What is the difference between uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion in a car?

Uniform circular motion in a car refers to a constant speed and direction of motion around a circular path, while non-uniform circular motion refers to a changing speed or direction of motion. In a car, this could occur if the car speeds up or slows down while going around a curve, or if the car changes lanes or makes a turn on a curved road.

4. How does the radius of a curve affect the circular motion of a car?

The radius of a curve has a direct impact on the circular motion of a car. A larger radius means a wider curve, which requires less centripetal force to keep the car in motion. On the other hand, a smaller radius means a tighter curve, which requires a greater centripetal force and may cause the car to slow down or even lose control if the force is not sufficient.

5. How does the speed of a car affect the circular motion?

The speed of a car also has a significant impact on circular motion. The greater the speed of the car, the greater the centripetal force needed to keep it in motion around a curve. This means that a car traveling at a higher speed will experience a greater force of friction from the road, allowing it to make tighter turns without losing control. However, if the car is traveling too fast, it may exceed the maximum centripetal force and skid out of control.