1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular Motion of a Particle

1. Sep 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The circular motion of a particle in the x-y plane is given by the equations: r(t)= 6.46 m, theta (t)= (6.96 rad/s) t, where r is the distance from the origin and theta is the polar angle measured counterclockwise from the positve x-axis. Calculate the x-coordinate of the particle at time t= 4.00s

2. Relevant equations

I can visualize it, but can't put the steps togather to solve it. I know I have to find out what angle the position vector is pointing at, then solve for t. The distance from the center of the point probably won't vary with t right?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2008 #2
    "I can visualize it, but can't put the steps togather to solve it. I know I have to find out what angle the position vector is pointing at, then solve for t. The distance from the center of the point probably won't vary with t right?"

Find theta when t = 4, then use the transformation equation x = r cos theta.

Yes, the particle moves on a circular path around the origin.

4. Sep 19, 2008 #3
    Thanks for your help! but how do I find theta?

5. Sep 19, 2008 #4
    Wait I plugged in four or t and got 27.84 for theta which I then plgged into my x= r. cos (theta) formula and got 8.36 m which is not the right answer.....

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  6. Sep 19, 2008 #5

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You made a mistake with the computation of x. You can see that immediately...because your calculated value for the x-coordinate is *greater* than the radius! (That makes absolutely no sense). I would recalculate rcos(theta).

7. Sep 19, 2008 #6
    I did it agai and got 5.71 which is still wrong...

8. Sep 19, 2008 #7
    Theta is in radians, not degrees. Check which mode your calculator is in.

9. Sep 19, 2008 #8

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's not very helpful to us. You should POST your work so that we can see if there is some sort of error. In this case, it's a question of punching a few buttons on your calculator and getting the result. There is not much opportunity for error. So here's what I'm going to do. Answer these questions:

1. What is the cosine of 27.84 (IS YOUR CALCULATOR IN RADIAN MODE?)

2. What is r times the cosine of 27.84 (i.e. what is 6.46 * the result of part 1)?

10. Sep 19, 2008 #9

11. Sep 19, 2008 #10
    i'm sorry guys i'm really sleep deprived thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?