1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular motion of a planet

1. Jan 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A planet similar to the Earth has a radius 4.4*10^6m and has an acceleration of gravity of 10 m/s^2 on the planet's surface.The planet rotates about its axis with a period of 25h. Imagine that the rotational speed can be increased.
    a/If an object at the equator is to have zero apparent weight, what is the new period?
    b/By what factor would the speed of the object be increased when the planet is rotating at the higher speed?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I found the Velocity of the planet = 6633.25, but then i don't know what do to next. I don't understand what does " obj. has zero apparent weight" mean?
    b/ i have no idea about it...
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2008 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Regarding "zero apparent weight": Imagine you are standing on a scale. What the scale is actually reading is not your weight, but rather the normal force exerted on you by the scale. Draw a free body diagram and set up Newton's second law, and then ask yourself under what condition would that normal force drop to zero.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?