How Does Rolling Friction Affect a Toy Train's Motion on a Circular Track?

In summary: Once you know the radius, you can use the velocity equation to find the tangential velocity. It takes the train about 1.5 second to stop.
popo
Mentor note: moved to homework section
Hi, thanks for taking a look!

A toy train rolls around a horizontal 1.4-m-diameter track. The coefficient of rolling friction is 0.12.
(a) What is the magnitude of the train's angular acceleration after it is released?
(b) How long does it take the train to stop if it's released with an angular speed of 16 rpm?

I think I know which equations to use: α = ω^2*r and a = rα, but there is no mention of velocity in the problem so I am stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Newton's 2nd law to get tangential acceleration. Then your 2nd formula translates it into angular acceleration.
There's a homework help forum a few links up from this one for questions like this.

then my question would go to why we use tangential acc instead of centripetal acc?

I know we want to find angular acc so we need to use a = rα, which that is tangential acc, but the thing is the train is moving in ciruclar motion so there should only be centripetal forces acting on it which would be the friction.

The rolling resistance is not acting as a centripetal force. It is tangential.

is that a special case? because from what i learn for circular motion there would be friction force acting centripetally or centrifugally.

Yes, but that's not the rolling resistance. The tracks are providing a centripetal force. In the case of a car, it is static friction causing the centripetal acceleration, and rolling resistance causing the car to lose speed. In the case of a train, it is a normal force acting towards the center of the curve that acts as the centripetal force. Rolling resistance just slows it down.

Okay now i get you, but just want to be clear that i have the same picture about the train. How does the track looks like? It said horizontally so is that like a circular train on a horizontal flat surface?

I appreciate you help by the way

Yes, horizontal just means flat ground here.
Your welcome!

popo said:
but there is no mention of velocity

popo said:
it's released with an angular speed of 16 rpm
Angular speed will tell you the tangential velocity if you know the radius of the track.

1. What is circular motion in the context of a train?

Circular motion refers to the movement of an object along a circular path. In the context of a train, it would mean the train following a circular track or turning around a curve.

2. What causes a train to move in a circular motion?

A train moves in a circular motion due to a combination of forces. The centripetal force, which is directed towards the center of the circular path, is responsible for keeping the train on the track. The train's momentum and the force generated by the engine also contribute to its circular motion.

3. How does the speed of the train affect its circular motion?

The speed of the train is directly related to its circular motion. The faster the train is moving, the greater the centrifugal force it generates, which is the force that pulls the train away from the center of the circular path. This force must be balanced by the centripetal force to maintain the train's circular motion.

4. Can a train's circular motion be affected by external factors?

Yes, a train's circular motion can be affected by external factors such as friction, wind, and changes in elevation. These factors can alter the balance between the centrifugal and centripetal forces, causing the train to deviate from its circular path or even derail.

5. How is circular motion of a train important in train design?

The circular motion of a train is an essential factor in train design. Engineers must consider the train's center of gravity, the curvature of the track, and the train's speed to ensure safe and efficient movement on the tracks. Neglecting these factors could result in accidents or mechanical failures.