Circular Motion of a turntable spinning counterclockwise

In summary, the problem involves a turntable of radius "r" spinning counterclockwise at an initial rate of ω. The rotation rate begins to slow at a steady pace at t=0 and finally stops at t=T. The task is to find at what time during the interval 0<t<T the magnitude of the centripetal acceleration of a point on the turntable's rim is equal to half its initial value, expressed in terms of T. By using the equation for centripetal acceleration, a=ω^2r, and considering the relationship between ω and ω^2, it can be determined that ω will be at half its original value
Dan22

Homework Statement

A turntable of radius "r" is spinning counterclockwise at an initial rate of ω. at t=0, its rotation rate begins to slow at a steady pace. the rotation finally stops at t=T. At what time during the time interval 0<t<T was the magnitude of the centripetal acceleration of a point on the turntable's rim equal to half its initial value? Express the answer in terms of T

Homework Equations

centripetal acceleration=ω^2r
ω=ω°+αt ?
Δθ=ω°t+.5αt^2

The Attempt at a Solution

got about a page and a half of hand written notes right here and nothing to show for it. not really sure where to start, and definitely not sure how to right equation in terms of T. any suggestions are appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Dan22 said:

Homework Statement

A turntable of radius "r" is spinning counterclockwise at an initial rate of ω. at t=0, its rotation rate begins to slow at a steady pace. the rotation finally stops at t=T. At what time during the time interval 0<t<T was the magnitude of the centripetal acceleration of a point on the turntable's rim equal to half its initial value? Express the answer in terms of T

Homework Equations

centripetal acceleration=ω^2r
ω=ω°+αt ?
Δθ=ω°t+.5αt^2

The Attempt at a Solution

got about a page and a half of hand written notes right here and nothing to show for it. not really sure where to start, and definitely not sure how to right equation in terms of T. any suggestions are appreciated

The expression for centripetal acceleration is where you need to start.

a = ω2r

you want that value to halve, but without the value of "r" changing, so what must happen to the value of ω and when will that happen?

PeterO said:
The expression for centripetal acceleration is where you need to start.

a = ω2r

you want that value to halve, but without the value of "r" changing, so what must happen to the value of ω and when will that happen?

i'm honestly not sure how to determine what ω needs to be nor when it will get there. ω^2 obviously has to be half as large but I'm not sure where to go from there

Dan22 said:
i'm honestly not sure how to determine what ω needs to be nor when it will get there. ω^2 obviously has to be half as large but I'm not sure where to go from there

At what time will ω be 1/2 its original value?
At what time will ω be 1/3 its original value?
At what time will be 57% of its original value?

Dan22 said:

If ω2 is to be half as large, what must the value of ω be?

PeterO said:
At what time will ω be 1/2 its original value?
At what time will ω be 1/3 its original value?
At what time will be 57% of its original value?

ω will be at half its original value at 1/2t. but what can i do with that?

Dan22 said:
wow, duh it will ω will be at half its original value at 1/2t. but what can i do with that?

1/2 is the easy one [though it should have been 1/2T I believe] Edit: and T/2 would be a better way of saying that.

try the other two.

PeterO said:
1/2 is the easy one [though it should have been 1/2T I believe] Edit: and T/2 would be a better way of saying that.

try the other two.

do you mean when ω will be at 1/3ω and 57%ω. wouldn't that just be at T/3 and .57T. not sure why i would need those to be honest.

i'm still having trouble figuring out what ω needs to be for ω^2 to be half the size

Dan22 said:
do you mean when ω will be at 1/3ω and 57%ω. wouldn't that just be at T/3 and .57T. not sure why i would need those to be honest.

I suspected you might say that. Both those answers are wrong.

Will the turntable have slowed to 1/3 its speed before or after it has slowed to half its speed?

is T/3 before or after T/2 ?

for ω^2 to be half its size would ω= [α/(2r)]^.5 ? or am i just thinking myself in circles?

PeterO said:
I suspected you might say that. Both those answers are wrong.

Will the turntable have slowed to 1/3 its speed before or after it has slowed to half its speed?

is T/3 before or after T/2 ?

man I'm feeling stupid right now, it would be at 1/3 of its speed at 2/3T and at 57% of its speed at .43T right?

Dan22 said:
man I'm feeling stupid right now, it would be at 1/3 of its speed at 2/3T and at 57% of its speed at .43T right?

That's better.

Now, suppose ω was originally 10. That would mean ω2 would be 100

What value would ω have to be for ω2 to be 50 ?

7.0711 instead of 10, and i didn't expect that to be a fixed relationship but it seems to be. so for ω^2 to be one half of that ω=.70711ω though i expect that there is a neater form of that

Dan22 said:
7.0711 instead of 10, and i didn't expect that to be a fixed relationship but it seems to be. so for ω^2 to be one half of that ω=.70711ω though i expect that there is a neater form of that

So W has to reduce to 70.71% of its original value. I am now confident you will be able to find when that happens.

By the way - the neater form is ω/√2 and of course 1/√2 = √2 / 2 and √2 / 2 = 1.414/2 = 0.707EDIT: a quick course in "variation" - a mathematics topic - would be very handy at some stage. So much of Physics is dealt with in a Variation way.
eg: How does the speed of a satellite change of its radius of orbit is doubled. What is the value of g [9.8 at the surface of the Earth] if we move to a position 5R from the centre of the Earth. How about 5R from the surface of the Earth.

PeterO said:
So W has to reduce to 70.71% of its original value. I am now confident you will be able to find when that happens.

By the way - the neater form is ω/√2 and of course 1/√2 = √2 / 2 and √2 / 2 = 1.414/2 = 0.707

so the answer is t=.2929T is that correct. pretty sure it is, and thank you very much you were very helpful. willing to help with part b?

Dan22 said:
so the answer is t=.2929T is that correct. pretty sure it is, and thank you very much you were very helpful. willing to help with part b?

What is part b?

I am about to leave my computer for 36 hours, so won't reply immediately.

PeterO said:
What is part b?

I am about to leave my computer for 36 hours, so won't reply immediately.

no problem, i think i got this it just has to do with finding at what time ω^2t is greatest pretty sure i got this, thanks for all your help,

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion refers to the movement of an object along a circular path, where the object moves in a continuous loop around a fixed point.

2. How does a turntable spin counterclockwise?

A turntable spins counterclockwise due to the application of an external force, such as a motor or hand, that causes the rotation in that direction.

3. What is the role of centripetal force in circular motion?

Centripetal force is responsible for keeping an object moving in a circular path. In the case of a turntable, the centripetal force is provided by the friction between the turntable and the needle.

4. How does the speed of the turntable affect the circular motion?

The speed of the turntable affects the circular motion by determining the magnitude of the centripetal force needed to maintain the motion. The faster the turntable spins, the greater the centripetal force required.

5. Is circular motion only possible in counterclockwise direction?

No, circular motion can occur in both clockwise and counterclockwise directions. It depends on the direction of the applied force and the orientation of the object's motion in relation to that force.