What provides the centripetal force for circular motion of airplanes?

In summary, the centripetal force in circular motion of an airplane is provided by both the lifting force and weight. The horizontal component of the lifting force plays a crucial role in banking and turning the airplane. Weight alone cannot provide the necessary centripetal force. A good explanation of force components in a turn can be found on the given webpage.
denian
what provide the centripetal force?

the lifting force on the airplane? or the weight of the airplane? or both?
i read from the book, it says both, but since weight [mg] is always acting downward, how can it provide the centripetal force?

my teacher seems can't help me a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
and is there any webpage that give a good explanation on circular motion of the airplane?

Originally posted by denian

the lifting force on the airplane? or the weight of the airplane? or both?
i read from the book, it says both, but since weight [mg] is always acting downward, how can it provide the centripetal force?
I think it is the horizontal component of lifting force which gives necessary centripetal force for banking. In other words, an airplane needs to bank so as to turn in a flight. I don't think weight provides necessary centripetal force as it only acts down as you've said.

The lift is the only component unless the plane is flying in a downward spiral.

HERE is a good explanation of the force components in a turn.
Remember, when a plane is in a turn, its banking. The lift is always perpendicular to the wing, which means part of the force (vertical component) can be considered lift and part of the force (horizontal component) can be considered the turning force. Generally though the resultant force of a wing is not vertical, lift is always the vertical component and drag is the horizontal in one axis and turning force is horizontal in the other.

Also remember there is no force to balance the turning force - that's why the plane turns. A turn is an acceleration.

thank you for the explanation.

1. What is circular motion of an airplane?

Circular motion of an airplane refers to the path that the airplane follows in the air, which is a circular or curved path. This type of motion occurs when the airplane is constantly changing its direction while maintaining a constant speed.

2. How does an airplane maintain circular motion?

An airplane maintains circular motion by using its control surfaces, such as the ailerons, elevators, and rudder, to change the direction of its flight. These surfaces allow the airplane to bank, pitch, and yaw, which are necessary for maintaining circular motion.

3. What is the centripetal force in circular motion of an airplane?

The centripetal force in circular motion of an airplane is the force that acts towards the center of the circle, keeping the airplane on its curved path. It is provided by the lift force generated by the wings of the airplane.

4. How does circular motion affect the passengers on an airplane?

Circular motion can affect the passengers on an airplane in the form of acceleration and changes in direction. This can result in sensations of weightlessness, discomfort, and motion sickness. Pilots can minimize these effects by making smooth and gradual turns.

5. How does circular motion affect the flight time of an airplane?

Circular motion does not necessarily affect the flight time of an airplane, as it depends on factors such as the airplane's speed, altitude, and wind conditions. However, if the airplane has to make multiple turns during its flight, it can slightly increase the overall flight time.