Compensating for Earth's Rotation With v = ωr

In summary: When you plug a number into a formula and that number has dimension, you should include the units. E.g. if you walk at speed v for 30 seconds then the distance traveled is 30v seconds, not 30v.
nmnna
Homework Statement
At what speed and in what direction must the plane fly over the equator at height ##h## so that the Sun is always in the same place in space for it?
Relevant Equations
$$v=\omega r$$
We know that ##v = \omega r## where ##r = R_{\text{E}} + h##. To compensate for the motion, the plane must fly along the equator at the same speed as the Earth but in the opposite direction, i.e. from east to west, so
$$\vec{v} = -\vec{ v}_{\text{E}}$$
$$v_{\text{E}} = \omega_{\text{E}} R_{\text{E}}$$
By using ##\omega = \frac{2\pi}{T}##, we can find that ##\omega_{\text{E}} = \frac{\pi}{12}##
Please give me some hints for the solution, I'm struggling to find the right steps from here so I'd really appreciate your help.
The answer in my textbook is ##v = \frac{R_{\text{E}} + h}{2h}##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nmnna said:
The answer in my textbook is ##v = \frac{R_{\text{E}} + h}{2h}##
The dimensions of that answer are wrong. Also, the rotation of the Earth must be a factor, surely?

PeroK said:
the rotation of the Earth must be a factor, surely?
I think so

nmnna said:
I think so
So, the textbook answer can't be right. What answer do you get?

PeroK said:
So, the textbook answer can't be right. What answer do you get?
##v = (R_{\text{E}} + h) \cdot \frac{\pi}{12}##

nmnna said:
The dimensions are equally wrong. You can't have a speed equal to a distance.

PeroK said:
The dimensions are equally wrong. You can't have a speed equal to a distance.
I think my assumptions eariler were wrong, ##\vec{v}## does not have the same magnitude as ##\vec{v}_{\text{E}}##. The angular velocity of the plane must be equal to the angular velocity of the Earth, then the Sun will be the center of the circle relative to which the Earth with the plane is moving. So ##\omega = \omega_{\text{E}} = \frac{2\pi}{24} \frac{\text{rad}}{\text{h}}##, then ##v = \omega_{\text{E}} (R_{\text{E}} + h)##
If we take ##(R_{\text{E}} + h)## in kilometers then the dimensions are correct
Is this right?

Last edited:
I think you should start by defining the scope of the system, and the reference frame of the dimensions. Not to sound too soapboxy, but defining the problem goes a long way towards finding the answer.

nmnna said:
I think my assumptions eariler were wrong, ##\vec{v}## does not have the same magnitude as ##\vec{v}_{\text{E}}##. The angular velocity of the plane must be equal to the angular velocity of the Earth, then the Sun will be the center of the circle relative to which the Earth with the plane is moving. So ##\omega = \omega_{\text{E}} = \frac{2\pi}{24} \frac{\text{rad}}{\text{h}}##, then ##v = \omega_{\text{E}} (R_{\text{E}} + h)##
If we take ##(R_{\text{E}} + h)## in kilometers then the dimensions are correct
Is this right?
It depends what format the answer should take. I would have said that $$v = \frac{2\pi(R_E + h)}{T}$$ where ##T = 1## day. Then you can plug in ##R_E, h## and ##T## as appropriate. But, yes, ##w_E = \frac{2\pi}{T}##, so that would work as well.

nmnna said:
When you plug a number into a formula and that number has dimension, you should include the units. E.g. if you walk at speed v for 30 seconds then the distance traveled is 30v seconds, not 30v.

Last edited:
Likes nmnna

1. What is the formula for calculating the velocity needed to compensate for Earth's rotation?

The formula is v = ωr, where v is the velocity, ω is the angular velocity of Earth's rotation, and r is the radius of the Earth.

2. How does compensating for Earth's rotation affect satellite orbits?

Compensating for Earth's rotation by adjusting the velocity of a satellite allows it to maintain a stable orbit around the Earth. Without compensation, the satellite's orbit would gradually drift due to the Earth's rotation.

3. What is the significance of compensating for Earth's rotation in spacecraft launches?

Compensating for Earth's rotation is crucial in spacecraft launches as it allows the spacecraft to enter and maintain the desired orbit around the Earth. This ensures that the spacecraft can successfully complete its mission.

4. How does the angular velocity of Earth's rotation impact the required velocity for compensation?

The greater the angular velocity of Earth's rotation, the higher the required velocity for compensation. This means that the closer the satellite is to the equator, the higher its required velocity will be to maintain its orbit.

5. Can compensating for Earth's rotation be applied to other planets?

Yes, the concept of compensating for a planet's rotation can be applied to other planets as well. The formula for calculating the required velocity may differ depending on the planet's size and rotation speed, but the concept remains the same.