Circular Motion Prac: Investigating Centripetal Force Relationships

In summary, the experiment involved attaching a string to a weighed mass and passing the string through a glass tube, tying the free end to another weighed mass. The moving masses were then moved so that the upper mass traced out circular motion. The period of rotation was then recorded. Varying the radius of rotation independently allowed us to determine the relationship between the radius and the period. My experimental results did not show a clear relationship between the radius and the period, however the force was constant. Using values that represent a single set of measurements, the square of the period is directly proportional to m_v and R and inversely proportional to m_c.
ellese
I recently completed an experiment about centripetal motion in which we attached a string to a weighed mass and passed the string through a glass tube, tying the free end to another weighed mass. We then moved the tube so the upper mass traced out circular motion and recorded the period of rotation. We then varied independently each of the masses and the radius of rotation.

On plotting the graphs, however, I wasn't able to clearly work out the relationship between the variables.

My best calculations are that

T squared is proporional to R
T squared is inversely proportional to the mass used to provide the centripetal force
T is proportional to the moving mass

I'm not sure of the equations I should be using to determine these relationships. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't really understand the experiment youre carrying out. The forces that are acting seem to be the centrifugal force: mw^2r, gravity:mg, and the tension in the string. Draw a fbd and try to work out a general expression for the forces on your system. The expression you get, you can try verifying it with your experimental results.

Sorry, let me rephrase the question.

Basically what I am trying to work out is how the radius is related to the period of an object undergoing circular motion with a constant centripetal force.

My experimental results don't seem to show any discernable relationship.

The force is constant. So then v=rw. [tex]T=\frac{2\pi r}{rw}[/tex]. As you see, the radius cancels out, so the time period is independent of radius. This is only valid since the angular speed is constant.

The centripetal force that the moving mass, [tex]m_v[/tex], is experiencing is given by

[tex]F_c = m_c g[/tex]

and it is also represented by

[tex]F_c = \frac{m_v v^2}{R}[/tex]

while the speeed of the moving mass is

[tex]v = \frac{2 \pi R}{T}[/tex]

this gives the relation

[tex]T^2 = \frac{4 \pi ^2 m_v R}{g m_c}[/tex]

The square of the period is therefore directly proportional to [tex]m_v[/tex] and [tex]R[/tex], and it is inversely proportional to [tex]m_c[/tex]. So your approach is correct. As a further test you could calculate and plot the square of the period as a function of the values

[tex]\frac{m_v R}{m_c}[/tex]

this graph should then be a directly proportional graph with a gradient of

[tex]\frac{4 \pi ^2}{g}[/tex]

Just be sure to use values in your calculations that represent a single set of measurements.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of investigating centripetal force relationships in circular motion?

The purpose of investigating centripetal force relationships is to better understand the principles of circular motion and how centripetal force is related to other factors such as mass, velocity, and radius. This can also help in analyzing and predicting the behavior of objects in circular motion.

2. How is the centripetal force related to mass, velocity, and radius?

The centripetal force is directly proportional to the mass and velocity of the object in circular motion, and inversely proportional to the radius of the circular path. This means that as the mass or velocity increases, the centripetal force also increases, while a larger radius decreases the required centripetal force.

3. What is the difference between centripetal force and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, towards the center of the circle, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force experienced by an object in circular motion. Centrifugal force is a fictional force and only exists in non-inertial reference frames, whereas centripetal force is a real force.

4. How do you calculate the centripetal force in circular motion?

The centripetal force can be calculated using the formula F = m*v^2/r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

5. What are some real-life examples of circular motion and centripetal force?

Examples of circular motion and centripetal force can be seen in many everyday activities such as swinging a ball on a string, driving a car around a curve, or riding a bicycle around a roundabout. In these cases, the centripetal force is provided by tension in the string, friction between the tires and road, or the force exerted by the rider on the handlebars.